The sidewalks of Barça


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
January 17th 2007
Published: January 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Classes have started...it should be fairly interesting because the grading system is much different than the US...apparently it is next to impossible to get an "A" , getting one would mean you shouldn´t even be in school youre so smart you should be running a company...well thats how it was explained to my class today and finals are pretty much your only test, maybe an assignment or two at most! could be great could be not so great, who knows! So far im in spanish, intl business, intl marketing, and spanish for business which is in spanish...i might be changing that one.

Walking to school only takes about 20 minutes thats walking "up the mountain" and so its a little faster comign down! Sites to see along my walk include, many many haircut places, pastry and bread shops and a LOT of motorcycle and mopad shops and a few parks. Its actually a lot of fun walking around the city and exploring but you have to be careful of the steaming piles of brown that litter the sidewalk...yes thats right poooooooop! dogs are allowed everywhere into all the stores etc, which is really awesome in my opinion but the price has to be paid somewhere and the sidewalks get it! Barcelona is at the foot of mountains so i´m not ACTUALLY climbing up part of mountain...id hate to give you the wrong mental picture, but theres definitely a steep elevation as you get close to my school!

I feel like i´ve been here forever and its only been 11 days! I´ve already decided if i was rich id buy a motorcycle or mopad they are just about as popular as the cars are! not to mention easy parking...they cover the sidewalks and streets...i think if you knocked one over on accident you could probably take down the whole block of them like dominoes! The city is divided into neighborhoods..barrios and i live in Sant Marti but whats nice about this is they all have their own shop areas that are closed off pretty much from traffic...maybe one, one way street running through it, we have our own town hall, a beautiful huge park that is right across the street, several markets...literally everything you can think of to buy are in these barrios. The other thing about this city is that there is graffiti everywhere...Romi, my señora says ay es horrible!...but its very common...in fact some of it is really cool looking!

more next time!

Advertisement



17th January 2007

under the spanish sun
I have this picture in my head of you walking around this beautiful city like in under the tuscan sun......am I close?? It sound so exciting and just think you have a whole 4 more months there - soak it in girl!!!! If you can take some pics of the graffiti - and in blk/wht too - they look cool that way. That's a good work out every day to hike to school - your butt will look awesome in a several weeks. We're doing great Harrison is talking more and more every day and Bronson is almost crawling - he does very well going backwards. We are staying home today b/c of a ice storm - so Jeff is driving me nuts - you how hyper he is!! Love and miss you Adios, Cha`ry
18th January 2007

Love the details
Can't wait to share some of these experiences with you!! Love you!!
20th January 2007

Sounds like fun
Myka. Sounds like you are having alot of fun. I wish I was able to travel Spain. One place I have always wanted to go. Keep us updated.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb