Spanish life


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
January 12th 2007
Published: January 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was full day!...today was a full day! there is so much to do here that you wake up in the morning you leave your apartment and you dont come back until after its dark...and then if you have the energy, you go out! i havent had the energy to do that yet but i was thinking about trying to tonight...a group of kids are going out to the beach clubs which are supposed to be awesome, we´ll see.

I found out yesterday my school is the 2nd biggest in Barcelona and teh 3rd largest in Spain which is pretty cool we aren´t at their main campus which is over the mountains but ours is the most beautiful! The building itself was actually once a hospital...you´ll never believe that when you see the pictures and it actually still is a hospital but has expanded to cover a few blocks. so if im sick...we still go to school...haha. Today we didn´t have school which was great but they were going to post out class schedules which requires you to go school to see which classes you have....unfortunately we students experienced the difference in cultures when it comes to timing for the spanish. it was to be posted at 4pm annnd we all arrived early to make sure and waited for a hour before being told that well they hope maybe to finish it tonight....soo maybe ill go back tomorrow to check it out or maybe i just will go early on monday to see what sort of classes im taking right b4 they start...im not sure! Also yesterday i ate with a small group of girls at cafe Alberto...a little hole in the wall place and i asked the elderly man waiting on us for a bikini bocadilla (a type of sandwich) and he said just a minute he didnt think they had the right bread for it...15 minutes pass and we come to find out he went to the store to buy some bread just for my sandwich!! Talk about some SERVICE!!

Today was all about shopping at Glories, only a few minutes from my apartment, it is HUGE! im tempted to say its almost galleria size it is so big, i only spent time in one section and it took all morning & most of the afternoon!Right now is REBAJAS/REBAIXES time in Spain which means sales in spanish and catalan. It´s amazing everything is 50% off or more!! in all the good very popular stores here like Zara, Mango, H&M, Berska only to name a few! these all have clothes that are similar to Express, maybe some Banana Rep. but they all are in huge areas taking up 2 floors...its crazy! I bought a few necessary items for living in Spain!...

The weather here is always changing during the morning its chilly but by late morning early afternoon the sun is out theres a nice breeze...perfect coastal weather. at night it gets very cold so what you wear needs to be able to transition through all of these weather changes! Spanish women dress pretty well, they always look put together even if nothing they have on matches...i´ve seen some pretty outrageous outfits that would never fly in the states but are just normal here...im not sure im explaining this very well! there is also a phenomena among i´d say early 20´s women here that dress like complete THUGS, the best mental picture i can give you is to say think of how american boys dress with their boxers hanging out of their pants really baggy jeans, skater shoes the list goes on...my favorite of these outfits that i´ve seen so far was a girl wearing HUGE jeans basically under her butt with her sheer leopard print underwear hanging out and i wont bother to tell you the rest...it wassssss interesting! MULLETS have also become very popular, for everyone...men,women,kids..the works, its a constant form of amusement. My last piece of fashion advice is to bring a light jacket and some flat boots...they´re EVERYWHERE...and thats definitely what i bought today. i wore them later on and understand why that is...you dont get overly hot and your feet dont hurt! the women here are much more about boots (including cowboy boots) and sporty shoes during the day or some stylish flats...heels are fairly rare in sitings so far..i´ll keep you posted!

Communications is still pretty rough going with the family I wish I could speak more! Romi and I have an interesting time she´ll talk to me and i´ll try to figure it out, which more than likely won´t be successful and we´ll end up laughing for different reasons...she b/c she knows i dont really get it and me b/c if i was able to respond i know that what i said sounded very funny to her!

In other news tomorrow is Jamie´s Bday, i hope you have a great time!! Sunday we are eating paella-a traditional dish made with rice to celebrate Jose´s 29th birthday, which is actually today but i think he´s going out with friends....but im excited about the paella...ive tried it before and i hope Romi´s version is as good!


Advertisement



12th January 2007

MULLETS
Hell yeah.... gansta girls with mullets... sounds like a blast! Anyone of them look like Penelope Cruz??? haha I can put up with bad fashion for that one particular deal! Keep on keepin on darlin! I thought i was in another world in Arizona, but Spain seems like it takes the cake! Muah!
13th January 2007

I love it!
I love it, I love it, I love it - this is great I laugh the whole time reading your letter. I can picture everything, right down to her butt hanging out....his is great!! I get so excited about your blogs and I'm sure it great for you too - kind of like a journal. Keep them coming - we love and miss you - not sure how to spell in spanish but here u go.. O`la, Sherry or is that hello? OK maybe it's Adios`

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb