Barcelona Day 2


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
April 29th 2016
Published: April 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today we headed to the Barcelona cathedral, it was beautiful. There were many small chapels surrounding the large sanctuary. There was the sarcophagus of its patron Saint Euelia, she was a 13-year-old girl who was tortured and crucified on an X shaped cross for her beliefs. After this we went to the Picasso museum. It was interesting, but if we come back to Barcelona again it will be something I don't have to go back and see again. We then went to Mercado de La boqueeria, a market with tons of fresh fruits, vegetables, meets, and seafood. We tried several different things from different vendors for lunch. Next, walked down to Placa Espanya. Here we caught a train that took us to Montserrat. This is a monastery built into the side of a mountain near the peak. We took a cable car ride up to the monastery. The views from the top were amazing. They have the "black Virgin" which is the main attraction to come and see. They also have a sacred Cove where the black virgin statue was supposedly found. (Long story) We did not hike down to the cove. After returning from Montserrat we went to Montjuic taking a bus to the top . Unfortunately, We got there too late to enter the castle/fortress so we walked around the perimeter. There were great views of the docks and of the Mediterranean Sea. After walking around the castle we walked back down and probably made it down just as fast as the bus. Montjuic is the olympic park region that the 1992 summer Olympics were held. We could see some of the fields and venues where events were held . On the weekends there is a fountain show with lights , music, and the water. They call this fountain the magic fountain. For dinner we stopped for pizza at pizza del Sortidor. We sat at the bar to eat as it was packed. After we finished they gave us a shot of lemon liqueur as a "digestive" it was very tart and packed a punch. The pizza was delicious! 30,269 steps.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

View from top of MontjuicView from top of Montjuic
View from top of Montjuic

The Olympic torch is between our heads


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb