Spain day 1


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
April 28th 2016
Published: April 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We started off the day with warm fresh homemade churros. They were delicious! We then walked over to La Segrada Familia which is a large church that has been under construction since 1882. There have been several architects, but the most famous and who was responsible for the ultimate design is Antoni Gaudi. He spent about 40 years working on the church. The church was magnificent, unlike anything we have ever seen. The church itself is like a sculpture. We had tickets to go up into the nativity tower, but it had been raining off and on and they had closed access to the towers. They anticipate the church will be finished by 2026. We then headed over to Parc Guell, this was a park designed by Antoni Gaudi back in the early 1900s. It was intended to be a community for the wealthy. The original plan was a flop. Only two homes were were completed in this community. One was a model home that Gaudi lived in for approximately 20 years. From there we headed to another Guadi development called Casa Mila or la Pedrada. This was more of an apartment building with beautiful modern architecture, a courtyard and iron balconies. We had access to the rooftop, the attic, and one apartment. We stopped for a wonderful dinner at Arume and had paella and very tasty Sangria. On our way back to the hotel we took a walk a long las Ramblas (a street with a pedestrian area in the middle with lots of restaurants, souvenir shops and some street performers. She had only 31,000 steps today. It felt like more because Guell Park was a long way up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Dinner at ArumeDinner at Arume
Dinner at Arume

Clockwise from top left: bread with olive oil and olives; homemade sangria; paella; fried octopus.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb