Barcelona - Day5


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
March 13th 2018
Published: March 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Sagrada Familia walking tour


Barcelona - Day 5 - Sagrada Familia & Antoni Gaudi's buildings.

Our walking and bus tour today is all about Gaudi. I realized as I viewed his work that I had to put it into context. Gaudi was born in 1852 and lived until 1926. His architecture designs and concepts were so advanced that he would be considered a visionary if he brought the same designs out in 2018. You would be hard pressed to find another person that has designed 7 buildings that have been declared UNESCO World Heritage Sites. His design style is described as Modernism using most natural materials he could find. The most dominant part of his designs involved trancadis (broken glass) where he would design mosaics from broken glass and ceramics and re-purpose them.

Gaudi's portion of Sagrada began in 1883 the crypt having already been built. He died in 1926 after being hit by a tram when walking to the cathedral. The cathedral plans to celebrate Gaudi upon the 100 year anniversary of his death in 2026. ???? Nope don't see it completed by then.

Tour continued with a visit to La Pedrera ( Casa Milla) another Gaudi building. He was such a powerful person of the time that when the city asked him to cut back the stone pillars that were to close to the street, he said sure and I will carve the pillars in half and carve the names of the civil employees that ruined my building into the remaining half - the pillars are still there today.

Walking back to our hotel we walked on La Rambla the famous shopping district, then after what seemed like hours we finally stopped for dinner at a little tapas place we found the previous day.

No tour tomorrow - the flamenco tour we had booked has been cancelled so we will find one on our own and explore the old Gothic & Jewish quarters.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Christ carrying the cross.Christ carrying the cross.
Christ carrying the cross.

Roman guards watching the procession. Gaudi on the left (?)
Main doorMain door
Main door

Iris flowers
Stained glassStained glass
Stained glass

Notice that there is no picture or story... designers after Gaudi's death did not want to take away from his design features of the building.
Nave of CathedralNave of Cathedral
Nave of Cathedral

Now a Minor Basilica
Project managerProject manager
Project manager

making scale models 3d printer on the right
Park GuellPark Guell
Park Guell

Pronounced gwhale


14th March 2018

Do you think that is where the term "Gaudy" comes from ??

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb