Segovia and Avila


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Segovia
May 19th 2013
Published: May 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This morning began our road trip to Segovia and Avila. We left at 8 in the morning and it took us about two hours to get to Segovia. The city is full of roman architecture and ruins. The city hosts a huge aqueduct that was built in the first century. The aqueduct is still standing and was built without anything like glue or cement to hold it up; big rocks are held together by pressure. Even though it was a cold, gloomy day, it was still beautiful to see the amazing 2100 year old, historical monument still standing. We walked around the city to the Plaza Mayor and found the romantic and gothic cathedrals. Of course, we walked through the Alcazar Palace and say the rooms that once held Ferdinand and Isabelle, and soldiers before them. Not only was the palace beautiful, but the landscape around it was picture worthy. The palace sits on a cliff with a plunge down to a flowing river hidden by trees. Trees surround the valley and make their way up the hills with snow covered mountain tops lining the background. It truly is breathtakingly beautiful; worthy of romantic medieval movie scenery. I expected Aragorn and Gandalf to pop up riding horses. Halfway through Segovia, my camera started to die, forcing me to save my battery. We made our way back through the city to our bus, saying goodbye to stunning city. We drove for about another hour until we made it to Avila. Surrounding Avila is a fully intact medieval wall. I was really excited about seeing Avila because of my love for Roman and Greek history. We were dropped off at the entrance to the city and started to walk in when it started to pour down raining. Luckily, I had been waiting for a chance to use my newly bought umbrella. After spending three days in the rain, I decided buying an umbrella for 7 euros wasn’t too bad since more rain was waiting ahead of me. We made it into the city and walked up to the church when it started to hail/snow/sleet on us. It came down hard so we ran back to the bus. Unfortunately, the weather would not get better so we took a tour through the city on our bus. The streets were not made for buses, so we unfortunately did not get to see much. It was quite scary going through the streets with the rain pouring and an inch of space between the bus and the wall. We made our way back home leaving behind the walled city on the hill. For now, googled pictures will have to suffice until I have time to visit the city in better weather. With temperatures that are almost freezing, I am ready to be in the warmth of the sun in the Costa del Sol.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



19th May 2013

It is funny to see you at a place that we have been, like Avila and Segovia. Too bad the weather is not warmer but it is better than too hot and you are lucky that you deal well with the cold. Love you mema
19th May 2013

It is funny to see you at a place that we have been, like Avila and Segovia. Too bad the weather is not warmer but it is better than too hot and you are lucky that you deal well with the cold. Love you mema

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb