Exploring the town


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Salamanca
September 6th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hola amigos!

Today was an exploration day as we walked to the University through the Plaza Mayor and then further afield in search of a more permanent residence. It was a lot busier today, probably as it's not a weekend. As we neared the University we started noticing lots of student looking people with folders that gave us hope we were going in the right direction, but also lots of tourists. The building we were looking for was right opposite a gorgeous Cathedral, which unfortunately I did not photograph, but I will explore this place at a later date and take plenty of photos.

Walking through the streets I really love the whole style of it, the atmosphere and how different it is to England. For example, many buildings have these black doors and windows with black and gold bars on. Contrary to the effect barred windows have in England (i.e. that someone is going to try and break into it) these look very classy and generally attractive, not making the area feel intimidating at all. Everything is lighter, the bricks and the pavements. Noboday is rushing around, everyone walks fairly languidly and there are Dora the Explorer balloons for sale on every corner. Just wondering, but the attraction of Dora in England and America is that she teachers kids to speak spanish. . . how do they make this suitable for spanish children ? Maybe Dora is Portugese or something. I feel this requires further research, so watching spanish children's tv programmes.

We ate at a place, a chain which seems pretty common around town, called Cuatros Gatos (4 cats for those of you who don't speak Spanish). The food was cheap but i had a burger and it was disgusting. It was pink, not from being undercooked but from being processed garbages. Slathered in mayonnaise. Couldn't finish it. On the plus side, i'm loving that coke always comes in one of the really nice glass bottles here.

I am completely in love with all the tourist merchandise and had to restrain myself from coming back with 1 million different frog souvenirs. A t-shirt with 3 chicks and a frog all hatching out of eggs is still calling my name.

Today we managed to enroll in University, buy two phones and view a flat. I think we are getting more confident with the use of our spanish, even if it isn't good. We seem to be getting some sort of message across, with help from friendly locals every now and then. I think we're going to be ok 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb