This visit is drawing to a close.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Salamanca
October 12th 2005
Published: October 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

SalamancaSalamancaSalamanca

The Plaza Mayor.
We have decided to head to Salamanca and shorten our trip to Madrid, so it is goodbye, for now, to Portugal. We head north and east through the mountains of Portugal and the rain. The road, which is a major artery for commerce, is under construction. We know when we return next time, it is going to be smooth travelling. But today, it is nightmarish, between the heavy trucks and the cars and rain, the stoic Herv at the wheel tires of the "splash".

We pass through acres of burned forests of eucalyptus and pine. What I had seen from the airplane and thought was stone is a combination of stone bared by fire and ask covered ground. The iberian peninsula has been in a drought for two years and both Spain and Portugal have suffered. They are so lucky we decided to visit from rainy Seattle and brought the rain with us.

We are staying at the Paradore in Salamanca, which we discover is about to play host to the King and Queen of Spain and leaders from the countries in the Americas that Spain once ruled -Vincente Fox, Hugo Chavez, Toledo.... So after a welcome greeting, we
SalamancaSalamancaSalamanca

One of the five cathedrals we can see from our room.
are promptly informed that the town will be shut down for secutiy reasons at 11:00 the next morning and we need to hot-foot it out of town by then or risk being stuck.

The shut-down in town makes our walk almost car-free and the Salamancans are taking advantage of the hubbub to explore their city, too. We count five churches from our window at the Paradore and the bells welcome us on the quarter, half, three-quarter and hour of the clock. there is a Plaza Mayor that resembles that of Madrid and it is teeming with the evening promenaders.

The hotel is teeming with newspeople from all over the spanish-speaking world. It's fascinating.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

SalamancaSalamanca
Salamanca

Crossing the Punte Romana.
SalamancaSalamanca
Salamanca

Crossing the Puente Romana, looking back toward the city. Did we mention it rained?
SalamancaSalamanca
Salamanca

The view from the paradore.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb