Day 20, 14th October, 2014: Leon to Villar de Mazarife, 22.6kms


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » León » Valdepielago
October 14th 2014
Published: October 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we rose early, enjoyed the buffet breakfast at Regia Posada, fastened the bagpacks on for the first time in a few days, and wandered down to the bus depot to set Sue on her way on the bus to Marzarife. Tim and I left the Depot at 9.30 am and found the pilgrim trail out of Leon. We spent quite some time walking through suburbia and the industrial fringe of Leon before making a well concealed left turn down a muddy track in order to leave the main road and pass through country villages instead of hiking along the main road.

It was overcast and drizzling rain most of the time but we set a pace and stuck to it. We walked through mud, rocky roads and along a few tarred roads so we had to be wary of traffic passing by. We caught up with Nick from Vermont, USA and walked with him to the next small village. Nick's having feet problems and is walking with pain in one heel. We had a coffee at a bar and Tim and I left Nick to get to Villar de Marzarife before the rain set in. It took 4 hours including a 20 minute break to walk 22.5 kms, so we made good time and arrived with our pants coated in light brown mud.

After a shower and a fresh change we explored the village and were surprised how prosperous it seemed. I suppose you could commute to Leon and enjoy the country life at a cheaper rate. The local shop owner was very helpful, as was Tim's Spanish, and it seems the best option for Sue is to bus it back to Leon and catch another one to Astorga. It will be very cheap and the easiest way. We are having the 3 course Pilgrim Meal downstairs tonight, 9 euros, and I think paella is an option so that will do me.

We will rise early tomorrow and be outside for Sue's bus at 7.15am and then Tim and I will start the 31.2 km walk to Astorga. Early to bed tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Crane nestsCrane nests
Crane nests

Sorry, they fascinate me.


14th October 2014
Crane nests

cranes' nests
I love the crane's nests! I'd never seen one before the camino, so now, whenever I see them, it takes me back to wonderful northern Spain. I'm so excited you'll be in Astorga, my town! Hope Sue's feet are better in her new shoes.
16th October 2014

It is what it is
Yep! You can't wear your feet down to the bones so glad Sue is taking a little time out for her feet to heel. Steve so sorry your shoulders are sore from having to carry those others...no doubt their time for being the donkey will come. Tim hope you are having a fantastic time. Liz x

Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 107; dbt: 0.1123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb