Toledo - Saturday


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Toledo
January 4th 2016
Published: January 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

DSCF7959DSCF7959DSCF7959

Toledo on the hill
We leave the hotel and head to the Metro to get us to the train station. We thought about stopping for a pastry along the way but it was a good thing we didn’t. By the time we hit the train station it was time to board and we rushed. We made it to the train but someone was sitting in some of our seats. We found other seats but then 2 of them were someone else’s. Eventually we got seats but the train was FULL.

30+ minutes later we arrive in Toledo (Pronounced Toe la do). We walk up to the old bridge and cross and work our way up the hill. The first part was on foot, then we could take the escalators from the car park (which was built into the mountain) up to the top of the hill (i.e. to the old city).

By now were here hungry and we found a place to eat breakfast in the square. This was a cute café but when we got inside it was very nice with a spiral stair case. After breakfast we headed around the city. Our first stop was a cathedral. We didn’t go inside
DSCF7969DSCF7969DSCF7969

neat breakfast place
but viewed it from all around the outside. As we were viewing someone came up to Tim and started talking. He was a guide that mentioned there was an artisan “guild” working today for another hour, if we would like to visit the market. We followed. Along the way, our “guide” showed us a few things but the neat thing he told us was that when the cathedral bell was rung the first time it broke all the windows around there.

We got to the artisan market and could see them making the particular items (gold pounded into medal to make designs). It is definitely detail work. We next went into the shop. They showed us the difference between machine made and handmade artifacts and let us view the items. I bought a couple of things and so did Susan. What we each bought is definitely unique. I got a picture of my little plate with the artisan that created it.

After this we left and wondered the city some more. Nicky and Tim knew that the convents in the area made money by selling sweets (Dulces) We found the first door and tried it but no one
IMG-20160103-WA0001IMG-20160103-WA0001IMG-20160103-WA0001

lions and 3 nuts
answered. You are supposed to knock or ring the bell and they ask what you would like. Oh, well, we will look for others. Our next stop was one of the synagogues (Santa María la Blanca). It was constructed under the Christian Kingdom of Castile by Islamic architects for Jewish use. Too bad we don’t have that kind of cooperation today.

Well, I lost my gloves somewhere in the synagogue. L We asked at the front. You know I lose stuff all the time, that’s why I brought 3 pair. We next look out over the river and see some beautiful view and then we head to lunch. Nicky’s book suggested a restaurant and we tried it. We had lunch in the courtyard (we thought it would be cold but it was enclosed) and we all liked our meals.

After lunch we headed to another synagogue that definitely looked Moorish in style. Since we were near the first synagogue we went back and yea, someone had turned in my gloves. I’m happy.

Next we wondered the city more and we found the convent door and tried again, again, no luck. We continued on and found another convent
DSCF7981DSCF7981DSCF7981

cathedral
(turns out to be the one Nicky and Tim visited last time they were here) and tried that door. They answered and we got the almond cookies and marzipan sweets. After stopping and sitting on a wall to try our sweets, we continued on and found the lions. You just have to see the picture. We then just walked thru the city and shopped. The city is old and parts of it date back 2500 years. You have narrow windy streets and the city is very hilly. It was great.

Our next stop was the Di Vinci Museum where we saw information about many of his inventions and Susan told us that he made all his notes in mirror writing. I never knew but you could sure see it. After the museum, we stopped for wine and tea and Susan showed us how you too can mirror write. You do it with your left hand and trace opposite what your right hand does. We (all but Susan) weren’t very good at it.

As darkness arrived, we looked at the city lights, then headed back to our morning café for a light dinner. After dinner we looked at a
DSCF7985DSCF7985DSCF7985

guide
few more lights and the view of the valley from the hill, then walked back to the train station and headed back to Madrid.

At the hotel, we packed (Susan because she is leaving in the morning, me as I’ll be checking out) and then went to bed.



we did have a question for today. We saw a sign for Antiques. So what constitutes an antique here in Europe??


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

DSCF7991DSCF7991
DSCF7991

artist and the little plate i bought
DSCF7994DSCF7994
DSCF7994

our first covenant door. This one, they did not answer
DSCF8014DSCF8014
DSCF8014

Synagogue where I lost my gloves
DSCF8028DSCF8028
DSCF8028

the other synagogue
DSCF8040DSCF8040
DSCF8040

we found one that was open
DSCF8058DSCF8058
DSCF8058

susan with one of the kings
DSCF8059DSCF8059
DSCF8059

the other 2 kings
DSCF8072DSCF8072
DSCF8072

lights at night
DSCF8090DSCF8090
DSCF8090

narrow street
DSCF8077DSCF8077
DSCF8077

more lights
DSCF8106DSCF8106
DSCF8106

lights on the old bridge and the town on the mountain


Tot: 0.45s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb