Excursion to the Northern part Tenerife - AFTER LUNCH


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
February 18th 2019
Published: February 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

WE CONTINUE TO ENJOY THE SCENIC ROUTE WITHIN ANAGA NATIONAL PARK.

Taganana is a little hamlet inside Anaga National Park. It is surrounded by beaches and rock formations rising out of the sea & this was our stop for lunch.

En route we passed Taganana beach with large waves making it a paradise for surfers.


Our restaurant location was overlooking the rocky beach with waves crashing into the rocks which were once part of the coastline.

Lunch consisted of home made vegetable soup, a delicious fillet of local fish (or pork chop) with canarian potatoes & salad, followed by a local egg custard tart. Plenty of water & red wine - good company and nicely served food. So all good before moving on again.


This time to a sandy beach area, popular with the locals especially at weekends but today being Monday it was very quiet.

We had expected a white sandy beach as depicted in the information and yes it was sandy but definitely not the white we have experienced at this time of year in the Caribbean but we are not in the Caribbean so I took a short walk along the yellow sandy beach!


We continued our journey passing through Santa Cruz passed the container base & alongside the cruise terminal we have been moored up on previously o several of our cruise holidays.


Our final stop of the tour was 18km south of Santa Cruz - Candelaria, a small fishing village where the main claim to fame is the basilica, home to the patron saint of the entire Canary archipelago.

By now the sun was out & although windy we found a little cafe opposite the basilica to enjoy sitting in the sunshine with a cappuccino.


We didn’t have time to venture far but I managed to pop into the basilica which was beautiful (No photography allowed).


Along the sea wall one side of the square were statues of the nine kings who ruled the aboriginal kingdoms of Tenerife back in 1494 when Alonso Fernandez de Lugo set out to conquer Tenerife.

The Island was split into nine kingdoms governed by Menceys. These rulers were the highest civil, religious and military authority of the region they governed. Today, these nine bronze statues represent each of these Menceys.

It was soon time to get back in the vehicles back to our hotel.

An enjoyable day, it certainly made a change from sitting relaxing around the hotel.


The sun was still shining so we had time for a drink on the balcony as I sat sorting out the photos from our day sightseeing in the Anaga National Park & beyond.

So we hope you enjoy the journey too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement







Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb