2019 Tenerife Festivals


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
October 29th 2018
Published: October 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Tenerife, along with its tropical atmosphere and picturesque coastline, is also renowned for hosting numerous energetic and colourful festivals all year long. Usually there is one festival at least occurring every month of the year, and now that 2018 it coming to an end soon, it is the ideal time for planning which one(s) you want to attend. There are certain festivals that are really popular, so it is best to get your event tickets and hotel early to make sure that you don't miss out on anything!

For added info, take a look at our main site or the popular Facebook page for more current news.



The following are some of highlighted festivals that every year continue to grow in popularity:



Santa Cruz de Tenerife Carnival

Date: February 24 to March 10, 2019



The second most worldwide acclaimed festival following Rio De Janerio, the Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife is held every February and draws in thousands of people from around the world. It is a very extensive and exciting celebration, which lasts two weeks. The whole city gets caught in a complete whirlwind of joyous fantasy, colour, and music. The animated dancing and larger than life sparkling costumes are a major part of the entire spectacle. Don't be just an observer - join in the fun! Wear your most festive and exuberant costume or clothing, or buy masks and wigs from the festival's street vendors.



Every year a theme gets selected by popular vote. The 2019 theme has been announced and is going to be: Las Rodundidades Marinas or The Deep Sea.



Puerto De La Cruz Festival

Date: February 18 to March 10, 2019



This festival overlaps the Santa Cruz de Tenerife, and features special events and amazing parade floats, all within a very intense and festive atmosphere. Two of the main highlights are the high heel men's marathon along with the famous closing ceremony: the sardine burial, which is a satirical event with a quirky funeral procession and fake mourners for marking the end of these fun-filled festivals. Shedding real tears is not necessary, you always can return next year to enjoy all of the festivities once again!



The theme for this year's Puerto De La Cruz festival, which was selected by popular vote, is 'Space." Its futuristic and imaginative agent, promises to be an out of this world experience.



Holy Week and Easter (Semana Santa and Pascua)

Date: March and April



Although there are some religious celebrations that are held in Tenerife and all over Spain, La Laguna is considered to be the religious and cultural center of Tenerife, and known for its notable celebrations. On a daily basis you can experience gorgeous religious imagery, like the processions that are adorned with robed penitents and floats.



There are numerous other festivals through the year that are dedicated to various religious saints, with each of them filling the streets with entertainment and soulful music.



Tenerife International Film Festival

Date: TBD



Tenerife's International Film and Music Festival is approaching its 12th year and is known for championing independent filmmakers. It is both a networking festival and screening event, and provides a great opportunity for emerging filmmakers to be able to interact with more establish professionals, receive invaluable advice on their career advancement and work, network, and attend lectures. Along with the film screenings, there is also a highly acclaimed international awards ceremony. This is an outstanding event for all movie fans.



Fiesta de San Andrés (Festival of Saint Andrés)

Date: November 29-30



Wine and food lovers rejoice! This is definitely your festivals. Traditionally serving to celebrate Saint Andres, the festival also commemorates unveiling the latest season's wine. This all-day selection of vineyards offer wine tastings along with street vendors with tasty roasted snacks for sale. Along with the wine, San Andrés is honored by the local youth by participating in an event called “arrastre los cacharros” ("dragging the pots"). They run around town dragging tin cans on strings, banging pots, and sliding on greased wooden sleds down the steep streets. This unique tradition is one that you only can experience in Tenerife.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb