How to make the most out of a short trip in Tenerife


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
May 18th 2018
Published: May 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Tenerife is a very popular destination in the Canary Islands, and its sunshine, resort beaches and bars are all important tourist attractions. But suppose you are only taking a short break on the island, what would be the best way of spending time there? After you have got settled into the hotel or holiday accommodation you are staying in, it is time to explore the island, and you will want to see its best places. One of the unmissable attractions is Tenerife’s highest mountain.

Top things to see and do on the island

Tour the city centre of Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the picturesque and cosmopolitan capital of Tenerife, is a fantastic destination brimming with culture, cuisine and clubs. Whilst it would be easy to while away a week in Tenerife’s capital, if your visit will only be brief, you really need to pack in as much as you can.







• City Tours: there are many free self-guided tours to explore the city centre, but if you can spare half a day then a guided walking tour will let you get under the skin of the historical city. Excursions from Santa Cruz de Tenerife will include all of the key sights, including the stunning modernist architecture of the Auditorio de Tenerife by Adán Mártin; home to the famous Orquesta Sinfónica de Tenerife. Tenerife, as with all Spanish cities, isn’t short of churches and most tours will include a stop-off at the baroque Church of the Conception, which was built on the site of the city’s first chapel.



• E-Bike tours: if speedy sightseeing is your thing then you can’t go wrong with an e-bike tour around the city centre. A number of operators offer these tours, with electronically assisted bikes, making cruising around Santa Cruz a doddle. Routes differ but will generally include a glide past the famous postcard views of the Avenida Maritima and the new city beach, as well as a reproduction of Columbus’ famous ship the Santa Maria, which houses the island’s maritime museum. Stunning views aplenty for time-pressed travellers.


The beaches
Of course, if all of that culture isn’t really your thing, there’s another reason why Tenerife draws tourists from across the world all-year-round, its beaches. Sporting many Blue Flag-accredited hotspots, it is one of Europe’s best sun-worshipping destinations.

Tenerife’s top six beaches:


• Fañabé, Costa Adeje
• Playa Jardín, Puerto de la Cruz
• El Bollullo, La Orotava
• Playa de las Americas, Arona
• Playa de las Teresitas, Santa Cruz de Tenerife
• Playa de Rojas, El Sauzal


If you have time to research tours and book in advance, then taking to the waves is a fantastic way to take in the coastline of Santa Cruz. Jump aboard a chartered catamaran, where you will get the chance to take a dip and snorkel, as well as (fingers crossed) catch a glimpse of the local dolphins!

Mount Teide
As you fly into Tenerife you cannot help but see Mount Teide towering as it does over the rest of the island. At 3,718 metres (12,198 ft), it is the highest mountain, not only in the Canary Islands, but all of mainland Spain too. A visit to see this amazing volcanic mountain is one of the most memorable experiences you can have on Tenerife, and if you are only on the island for a few days, you should devote one to seeing Mt. Teide up close. There are incredible rock structures and miles of rugged and barren landscapes that look like those of another planet. In winter months the peak of the mountain is often covered with snow and ice, and the frosted summit can be seen easily from coastal parts of Tenerife where it is still sunny and warm.





In Spring and early Summer, a very rare plant grows on Mt. Teide, known as the red bugloss or Teide bugloss, you cannot miss it because it produces tall flowering spikes of tiny red flowers.

There is a cable car service that takes passengers most of the way towards the summit, but a special permit (available from an office in the capital of Santa Cruz) is required to climb the last 200m / 660 ft. It is possible to visit Teide by car or on a bus. There are buses that run once a day from the resorts of Playa de las Americas and Puerto de la Cruz that will take you up to the tourist centre and hotel or to the cable car station. Another way of seeing the mountain is to take part in one of the many guided excursions that visit this destination...

The perfect ending to your short trip
Whilst there are many places where you can enjoy breathtaking views whilst the sun sets over the island - Playa de Benijo, Los Gigantes, Mirador de la Tarta and Mirador de Chipeque, for example - there’s nothing quite like seeing it set over volcanic landscapes and enjoying a romantic dinner in Tenerife.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb