Wilco the fireman


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Balearic Islands » Minorca
October 20th 2006
Published: October 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A pretty quiet morning getting ready for the big final. The selection committee decided on keeping the same team as the semi final. We once again had a hit around in the nets, while the plate final was being played. We lost the toss and got put into bat. Brooky and I got an alright start, but we lost a few too many wickets and it was left up to AB to smash 33 at the end to get us up to a competitive total of 93.

We knew if we bowled like we had in the last two matches we would win, but we bowled a few too many wides and bad balls. We picked up 3 wickets near the end but it was too little too late.

Everyone was a bit dejected until we had a 100 meter sprint race to see the quickest in the team. Talks had been had all week about who was the quickest. I proved the dark horse pipping Brookey at the post.

After this the madness begun, we had plenty of ales in the sun, yarning with the rest of the teams. When we got back to the hotel the whole team jumped into the pool fully clothed, don’t think the hotel staff were too impressed.

That night we had the prize giving dinner which was prawn cocktail followed by roast lamb. Man it was good, I ate plenty. Then the awards were given out, we got a nice runners up trophy each. It was the third time a lot of our team had been to the tournament and it was their best result so they were pretty chuffed.

Later on while I was talking to a few of the guys from the Surrey team some of our team went streaking into the closest pool. Once they had returned we went down to the square, on the way Wilco somehow managed to have his shoes thrown over a fence by Miser who was by this time a tad drunk. So from then on Wilco spent the night with no shoes. He also almost spent the night with no teeth after abusing some of the scousers, and no roof over his head after unleashing the fire extinguisher on Brookey and half of the hotel.

We weren’t very popular with the hotel staff the next morning, but not many of the cricketers were with one of the opposition lads biting someone. Fortunately that was our last day and we spent it watching cricket at a bar, getting some sun and Brookey counting down the hours til he would see his sweat heart Laura ‘nice teeth’ Brookshaw.

All in all a great trip, pity we couldn’t win but at least we got good tans and Wilco & Brookey aren’t in a Spanish prison somewhere.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb