Balearic Island Bratwurst


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Balearic Islands » Majorca » s'Arenal
June 10th 2013
Published: March 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Clockwise from top left:Clockwise from top left:Clockwise from top left:

Cycling around the coast; a Spanish sunset; Cuevas Del Drach; Palma Cathedral
El Arenal, Majorca a.k.a Germany.

Going on a holiday for a couple for the first time, it is good to go for a fail-safe beach holiday. Although our hotel was next to the beach, we didn't expect it to be the German version of Zante, Malia, Kavos and the like. Those Greek Islands get the condensed tin of Brits, El Arenal gets the 18 year old 'this is my first holiday without my parents and I'm gonna drink all my saved Saturday job money in five days” Germans.

We definitely stuck out like two penguins in the Sahara desert walking along the strip. Even the pestering cheap watch sellers and impersonal promoters shoving flyers in your face were lost for words when we replied “no thank you” as opposed to “nein danka”.

I'd say it was great motivation to spend the week doing activities instead of laying on the beach filled with vain youths aiding their hangovers with more alcohol and blaring music.

Luckily there were pop-up stalls of 'Things To Do' in Majorca so our first day was spent riding our hired bikes out of the claustrophobic container where we were based.

Cycling along the coast, we stumbled up on locals fishing, the small shed-like restaurants that were packed with nearby residents and holidaymakers with young children. Eventually we found our way to the city of Palma, easily recognisable from the stupendous view of Palma Cathedral. This was the sightseeing holiday I enjoyed.

We took a bus to Palma the following day so we got to enjoy the city without the bikes and appreciate the variety in the city. Again, although I was putting El Arenal in a negative light, I was grateful for the pop-up stalls which made it easy to see and do other things in Majorca- not just stay in the alcohol devouring party culture bubble.

One of Majorca's landmarks is the Cuevas Del Drach (Caves of Drach) so we took a coach there in one of our reliable package deals which included a trip to the Pearl Factory. We can skip that visit as it was basically a toilet drop-off and going to H.Samuel but the jewellery solely being pearls. However, once at Cuevas Del Drach, we were able to take in the remarkable stalagmites and stalactites and appreciated the fact that with hundreds of coach travellers coming here daily, an effort was made with the boat show to finalise the tour. We were all seated at the bottom of the cave in darkness, waiting in anticipation as a boat covered in fairy lights made its way across the still lake with musicians playing their instruments, hitting the walls and filling the cave with beautiful sound as the audience was silent.

Although the resort wasn't the best choice for an English speaking over twenty years old couple, no matter what beach you're on, you will always get to see that spectacular moment where, even if it's cloudy, the sun lights up the sky and turns its surroundings a pastel pink and slowly descends, being consumed by a peaceful ocean, eliminating all sound around- a great beach sunset.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb