Steep roads


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Asturias » Luarca
March 28th 2017
Published: March 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

27th March

After a late start & brunch we went off on the bikes to Luarca which is only a mile from the site. The little town is lovely, set in a cove with a small harbour & marina of sorts, just like the infamous Cornish fishing village. Rather than taking the road Cathy fancied taking the paved footpath down to the town. Big mistake. It was 1 in 3, included steps & hairpins – brakes on overtime & Cathy very scared but we made it. Had a mooch about & went into a bank to change money but they required a passport which we didn’t have. There’s a narrow ‘promenade’ around the bay which I cycled around passing an old chap drying himself off after a swim..in the Atlantic...in March. Without me realising it Cathy had stopped at the start as she was getting tired so we set off back home.

This time we went back up the road on foot as it was still pretty steep & passed a cemetery which was painted all white. The information board explained the history of the place which included the fact that a Nobel piece (sic) prize winner is buried here, some chap who had discovered RNA & DNA the building blocks of genetics. It also said it was the most photographed cemetery in Europe though quite how they know that is beyond me; maybe it was EU funded research project. Can’t wait to find out which is the most photographed cemetery in the world...

On the way home we detoured via a supermercado & bought some things, mainly liquids which fitted nicely into my panniers & rucksack - the weight of which made me fair fly home down the slight gradient to the campsite. Did some washing up from the morning & discovered recycling boxes for batteries, bread & coffee grounds. Bizarre. Cathy went to sleep again so I sat outside with my book in the last of the afternoon sunshine. In the evening I cooked on the little burner outside, which was nice...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb