Fernando


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Asturias » Llanes
July 15th 2022
Published: July 20th 2022
Edit Blog Post

IMG_20220715_205813644IMG_20220715_205813644IMG_20220715_205813644

View from our apt in suburbs of Oviedo - nice enough but a little dull
We are heading for Bilbao but as it would be a long drive we decide to break the journey about half way at Oviedo. (note can't set Oviedo as a location for this entry so have picked Llanes on the coast). We chose Oviedo for convenience and because we find a reasonably priced apartment there. Doing a little checking I think, as this is a large place, I should also be able to find some BMW brake-pads somewhere here. We arrive before lunch so I have the whole afternoon to sort this out, but most places are closed until 3pm!

Our apartment is on the 4th floor of a modern apartment block on the outskirts of the city. The neighbourhood is fine but a bit low on local colour, so I joke that it’s a little like staying in Stevenage, which is an odd co-incidence as places are hometowns of F1 Racing drivers - Oviedo is the birthplace of Fernando Alonso. There is a museum here that displays many of his trophies but unfortunately with the car repair I don't make it there, maybe next time. Just to see if this can get weirder, I double check to see if Stevenage and Oviedo are twin towns, but unfortunately no. Somehow Oviedo is twinned with Bueno Aires (amongst others) and Stevenage does not seem to be twinned with anywhere in Spain.

The apartment setup is a little odd but fine. It turns out the host owns it (and perhaps lives there) but has decided to rent out 2 rooms to tourists to supplement his income which has been hit hard by Covid. The other tourist staying is a German girl who we only briefly see. We have our own bathroom, great internet and free parking right outside.

The host is very helpful with the car repair. Initially he thinks one of his friends can fix it but then discovers he does not work Friday, so messages us the address of a car repair shop that is only 2km away. I rush down there, it’s a modern tyre/car service depot next to a large out of town shopping mall. When I eventually manage to explain the problem (with a little help from Google translator), they are extremely helpful and say they can do the job in 2 hours.

I leave the car with them and as it’s not worth walking back to the apartment stroll over to the shopping mall, have an ice-cream (it’s over 40C again) and wander the air-conditioned mall. After an hour and a half, I go back and the car is ready. They tell me the brake pads are “very good”, but the brake pad sensor was faulty, so they have replaced it. Total bill including labour 20 Euro. Brilliant!

Just in case the BMW was being sulky with me, on the way home, I give the car a treat and fill up with premium grade petrol (it’s cheap here).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb