SEVILLE,SPAIN


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
November 27th 2014
Published: November 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Seville. 27 November, 2014. Rain

Last night the rain caught up with us and we awoke to rain puddles on the streets and footpaths. However we weren't daunted by the weather and set out to explore the Alcazzar, a fort like structure adjacent to the world's largest cathedral, 3rd largest church, visited yesterday.

As the name suggests, the Alcazzar is rich in Arabic and Islamic influences, tile work, arches, towers, courtyards, gardens and mazes. It was exceptionally beautiful and dates back many centuries and must have taken many to construct. It housed beautiful tiles and porcelains, exotic handheld fans, and intricate display pieces. The gardens were equally exotic with orange groves and rose gardens interwoven, strong hedging in interesting patterns, free wandering peacocks and ducks enjoying the rain.

We then wandered on to the Plaza de Espana, another larger than life structure, built in a very large half circle. At various intervals large imposing towers were built. Apparently many public servants are housed here. At the building's footings, murals depicting an alphabet of important Spanish cities, all designed in tiles were on display. These were my only memory of Seville from 30+ years ago.

Seville is an exceptional city of Andalusian buildings, exotic designs and gardens and larger than life historic buildings. Modern architectural design doesn't compete in the inner city precincts. Our hotel was opened in 2003, a restored townhouse. It has a very attractive roofed courtyard.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.407s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb