Seville II


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
July 3rd 2011
Published: July 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our discovery continued further down to Jews quarter as the entrance to Giralda was still closed. We slowly walked through narrow lanes while the dark clouds began gathering slowly above us. On our return from the Jew's quarter we popped into a local restaurant to try some Sangria. By noon we still had plenty of time to have a decent meal at La Cueva and flushed down the succulent taste of veil in mouth with a couple of glasses of Sangria.

By the time we left the restaurant, the drizzle has unfavourably begun. We found our refuge under Seville’s immense cathedral, officially the biggest in the world, is awe-inspiring in its scale and sheer majesty.

It stands on the site of the great 12th-century Almohad mosque, with the mosque’s minaret (the Giralda) still towering beside it. However there is no traceability of such a mosque except the minaret where Muezzin used to rid his horse to the top of column to invite for prayers.

According the guide book I was carrying, I noticed the origin of this majestic monument quiet remarkable. In view of its decaying state, the church authorities decided to knock it down to ground and start again. ‘Let us create such a building that future generations will take us for lunatics’, they decided (or so legend has it). The result is a cathedral measuring 126m long and 83m wide. Inside the cathedral, at the back of a huge door in the dark stands Christopher Columbus's tomb.

At the time of our climbing begins, it was raining a lot. Disappointingly, we lost the great chance to enjoy the scene of the sunbathing city instead we witnessed rain sprayed down viciously. A lot of them ascend amid sprays of rain lashing on four sides of the tower. It would have been much easier & convenient if the Christian conquerors at least left Muezzin's horse cart to use.





Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb