Queen and castle


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Málaga » Malaga
September 19th 2022
Published: September 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Queen and castle


This morning we had planned to go out early because I want to be back in time to see the Queens funeral. The black out curtains put paid to this as we don’t wake up till 8am (that would be 7am back in the UK). I can’t believe it’s so late, Ian says I fell asleep around 6pm last night - I must have been exhausted.

We decide to skip breakfast and go straight to the cathedral. The tourist office assured us it would open at 9am today although our guide book said 10. Out of date guidebook? It’s a half hour walk to the historic centre so we won’t be there at opening time…but near enough.

We arrive at the cathedral. It doesn’t open till 10! We walk around the outside taking photos. It’s much less crowded here than yesterday but already the sun is hot. We decide that time will be tight so we won’t go inside after all…it will take ages to climb the tall tower alone.

We return to the hotel via a supermarket. Good old Lidl. We pick up some food for breakfast and lunch and head back to the hotel. It appears we are lost…google maps is up to its old tricks. Ian eventually manages to get us back on course with his paper map.

We are back in our room with just enough time to attach the ‘do not disturb’ sign to the door and take a quick cool-down shower. And now I’m glued to the BBC world service…Queen Elizabeth is just leaving Buckingham Palace for the last time.

We have just seen the Queen’s coffin transferred from the gun carriage to the hearse so we decide to visit the 10th century Castillo de Gibralfaro. We saw it in the distance yesterday and we know it’s at the top of a very steep pathway. Fortunately you can get there by road too so we hail a taxi!

The sun is strong and there’s little shade up here. We make our way around the ramparts enjoying fabulous views of the town, sea and mountains. We then take the path downhill back towards the town. This is definitely preferable to climbing up but it’s jolly steep in places and the crazy paved slabs of the path are very shiney-slippery!

We have made it to the bottom in one piece and now to find an ATM for some cash. We locate a very nice Santander that interestingly doubles up as an air con Internet cafe.

Now we are back outside and indulging in another taxi ride back…it’s far too hot for exercise!

Back in our room. Excellent timing, the Queen’s coffin has just reached Windsor. We are in time to see the second service at St George’s Chapel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb