Sexy Sexy Boom at the Albaycin


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
January 19th 2012
Published: January 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our excursion to the Albaycin today was difficult to wake up for, but well worth it. I wasn’t really sure what exactly the Albaycin was before we went; I thought maybe a monument or castle like the Alhambra. But I found out it’s just an area of Granada. We walked along the Rio Darro on the way to Plaza Nueva. The river is called Darro because it is similar to the old word for gold. Gold was in the Sierra Nevada and pieces of it would flow down with the river, so when the sun shined, the gold was reflected in the water. We walked to the Plaza Nueva where you can see up the mountain to the Alhambra which is a castle and fortress from the 9th century. It was hard to really see it since the sun was in the way, but it’s still very impressive. Since this was the Islamic part of the city, there is an old Arabic bath that we stopped by to see.

After that, we started our climb up the Albaycin, which is set on a hill. Aurelio was our tour guide again, and he told us that there are three points up the hill that you can see the Alhambra. He explained that it’s like the Albaycin is falling in love with the Alhambra. When you reach the first point, you can see a little bit of the Alhambra. The Albaycin sees this and thinks, oh it's Sexy! You walk further up to the next vantage point, and you can see more of the Alhambra. Now the Albaycin thinks, oh it's Sexy Sexy! You continue climbing until you reach the top, and you can see the whole Alhambra. The Albaycin says, oh! It's Sexy Sexy Boom! It’s an interesting way to describe it, but it worked. Each view got better until at the top, where it was just beautiful! After getting our pictures taken, we headed back down the hill. In this part, we came across La Lona Bar-Terraza. This was where they made the sails for the ships that Christopher Columbus used to go to America.

After our tour, I headed home until class at four. After that, not much happened. At dinner we have been watching a show called Pasapalabra, which is sort of like Wheel of Fortune. It’s fun to watch, and I’m starting to understand what they are saying (it’s not much fun to watch a word guessing game show when you don’t understand the clues.) Maria keeps feeding us so much food, and it’s hard to say no when they insist you eat more. Hopefully I can get her to understand that I like the food, I just can’t eat that much!


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb