GREAT TIMES IN GRANADA


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
March 20th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Travelling Canucks Travelling Canucks Travelling Canucks

Loaded down with tourist paraphanalia...but does that stop us?
After leaving our Barcelona hotel for the airport in the early morning, we arrived in Granada in time for lunch. Although we expected Granada to be warmer than Barcelona, when we stepped off the plane, an unseasonably cold wind from the Sierra Nevada put a chill on our arrival. To economize, we took the bus instead of hiring a taxi (the bus was only 3 €/person); however, after waiting for nearly an hour for the bus to leave and taking another 45 minutes to reach our hotel, we had second thoughts!

Once we arrived at our lovely Andalusian-style hotel, Hotel Palacio de las Navas, we had lunch at a nearby small taverna, where we enjoyed local specialties, such as pork in a garlic sauce and broad beans with cured ham, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

After lunch, we toured the city, visiting Granada´s impressive cathedral, Albaicin and Sacromonte Districts, where the gypsy community lives and works. Climbing the steep hills and narrow streets of the ancient Moorish quarter proved to be a daunting task, but well worth the time given the spectacular views called miradors.

Views of the city, snow-capped Sierra Nevada mountains and the olive orchards and poplar
Mukluk in the Orange TreeMukluk in the Orange TreeMukluk in the Orange Tree

Orange trees smell so pretty!
tree stands made for some great photographs which we look forward to sharing with you.

Our first day ended with a delicious dinner at the Nuevo Restaurante, which happened to be one of the few non-smoking restaurants.

Our sleep was interrupted by the sounds of the city that seem to go through the night into the early morning, which made getting up particularly difficult. Despite our slow start and breakfast at our hotel, we headed to the city centre to grab a bus up the steep hill to the Alhambra (we were still too tired to make the climb eventhough we drank lots of coffee!)

Our five hour visit to the Alhambra Palace, one of Spain´s greatest attractions, took most of our time on our second day in Granada. The Alhambra, a Moorish stronghold until King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella reconquered the city, is a fascinating place to visit with stunning views and a rich history.

By noon, the weather warmed up and we enjoyed great olives, yummy sandwiches and beer at the terrace restaurant at the Parador of Granada.

Seeing the famous Palacios Nazariaes, the Sultan´s palace, was an amazing experience with its elaborate carvings, majestic arches, beautiful gardens and tranquil pools of water. We also visited the Alcazaba Fortress, and climbed the steep stone steps to the watchtower that provided a panoramic view of Granada and the surrounding area.

Spending time in Sacromonte and visiting a cave full of Flamenco dancers is the plan for tonight before we head off by train to Seville early tomorrrow morning.

Adios Amigos!







Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Rest  break at the AlcazabaRest  break at the Alcazaba
Rest break at the Alcazaba

Travelling Canuck resting after touring the ramparts of the Alcazaba Fortress,after climbing the steep Watch Tower.
Mukluk on the  Granada Paseo  Mukluk on the  Granada Paseo
Mukluk on the Granada Paseo

Honoured guest at the Grand Opening of the Paseo on the Gran Via in Granada on March 23,2007.


24th March 2007

wow it must be really cool to be in a warm place and see snow : ))). did mukluk eat my comments or something? they're gone : (
24th March 2007

I looove this blog!
I love this blog because...IM IN IT!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all of my admiring fans :) Me and all of the Travelling Canucks appreciate your support!!! Your FAVORITE bear, Mukluk the Canuck
24th March 2007

Snow?!
Snow!?! Lucky you, you get to see snow and sun! All we have is Rain, Rain and more Rain!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb