Granada and the Little House on the Hill


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
September 16th 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.1765, -3.59793

Well, everyone has enjoyed a several day respite so you should have the stamina to endure many pictures. And we have 'em. Most of what is here depicts Alhambra. This is the grandest of the Moorish structures. It comprises a fort, two homes, extensive gardens, and a great number of other buildings. It is by far the preeminent sight in Granada.

First, a bit of a compliment for the tour guide. She and HP descended on the ticket office for Alhambra tickets to which the clerk replied, "do you want September 28 or later"?. "What", we exclaimed! Sure enough, the first ticket available was two weeks away. Being the wimp he is, HP just hung his head anticipating we would not see the three star site. The tour guide, however, persisted, and received the possibility (but not a promise) of arriving at Alhambra by 7am to purchase same day tickets when the office opened at 8. Bird resolved to follow this course, and the next morning arrived back at the apartment around 9 or so with two tickets in hand for 2pm that day. What a Tour Guide!!

This place speaks for itself as you will see. What we will say is Granada was the last of the Moorish strongholds, falling to Isabella and Ferdinand in 1492; the same year they commissioned Columbus on his trip across the pond.

Lastly, a note about Spain thus far. We were here just over 41 years ago traveling through Andorra, Barcelona, Zaragoza and Madrid. We drove on a two lane road with several inch deep grooves depressed by vehicle traffic. We were informed this was the result of heavy traffic, heat, and not terribly well constructed roads. Bird vividly recalls relieving herself in a "restroom", which included a toilet that was literally (that word is for you M2) a hole in the floor. Well none of this is currently present. Spain seemingly has joined the rest of Europe over the last number of decades. The Autopistas are first class, and the restrooms are the real thing.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb