Escape from Election 2016


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Costa del Sol
November 5th 2016
Published: November 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Believe it or not we made it from Trumbull to JFK in 1hr 15 min. There was no traffic on the Van Wyck at all. That was a first......ever. Next, no line to speak of to check in. Arrived at the gate and noticed that an Aeroflot flight to Moscow was assigned to our gate. It was scheduled to leave at 2:25, then 3:40, now who knows. About 300 passengers began to line up at 2:15 and they have been standing ever since. Very peculiar.



Met my roommate Claudia and recognized her right away. She in incredibly well traveled, speaks German and Russian and who knows what else. Also saw Beth and Tom. We traveled together in the past and are a lovely couple.



After an endless trip, airport wait 4 hrs, air time 8 hrs, layover 5hrs we arrived at the hotel Melia. Quickly unpacked and headed to the out to explore. Our room overlooks the pool and faces the Med and has a small balcony. Lovely.



The weather was warm with a breeze off the Med and we walked the beach, admiring the sand sculptures and checking out menus. Beth and Tom joined us and soon we met Mike with another couple enjoying, not so much, gazpacho. Claudia stopped to chat and the rest of us continues on until Beth wanted to rest. While Tom strides on, Beth and I stopped at a Tapa Bar and split a Martini. Can you imagine doing that at home? Here, our unusual request was filled with a smile.



We chatted up a young couple from Manchester, England and Beth got some welcome internet hints. This is what I love about travel, Interacting pleasantly with perfect strangers. One can learn much.



Soon Claudia joined us and Tom returned and we all had a glass of Rioja. Beth and I split one since we were up a half of a Martini. Checked the menu but decided that we all wanted something other than tapas.



Back in the day MaryLou and I enjoyed Paella at a cafe across from the hotel so we went there and feasted on a lovely seafood paella, bread and water. The paella had clams, mussels, shrimp, small and large, and fish with rice. All gave it an A and the bread was an A+.



Now it was time to get a good night's rest. Tomorrow the group will head to Granada while I lay back and rest.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb