Who builds a church on an island in a lake.......


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
August 23rd 2010
Published: August 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

....Slovenia does!!!

Wow this country is truely amazing and spectacularly beautiful!

After hiring our trusty and teeny tiny Panda from Italy, and the friendly and useless advise of the manager we were off. See his advise included 'dont drive on the motorway the cars go fast' and 'here this is the way to get there'. We had figured that the cars go fast, its a motorway after all but decided to adhere to his advice and take the route he marked out.

What an adventure getting there! The road took us through the Julian Alps and some very steep mountain passes. It seemed like there was no one else on the road at times and with a recent downpour the locals were out with shovels moving the dirt that had come down the hills. The roads were skinny and barely wide enough for two vechiles....but the scenery was amazing. We came across ski fields and quant mountain villages...i'm still trying to figure what the people there do all day.

After three and a half hours we arrived at our destination in a torrential downpour.

The following morning, with the rain gone, we went for a walk
Boats ready to rowBoats ready to rowBoats ready to row

Looked like too much hard work :)
around Lake Bled with a thousand other tourists(6km). The lake is feed solely by springs and is very clean. You can see the fish swimming around everywhere, and it has a very good rowing facility here that has seen some olympic medalists n the last couple of olympics. This town is a very popular tourist town that reminds us a little bit about Queenstown.

In the middle of the lake is a tiny island just bg enough for them to build a church on it. Dont know why they had the crazy idea, but it is now very popular destination for tourists. You can pay to go on a gondala style boat with about ten tourists or hire a row boat and take yourself to it...we did neither as you could get a good look from the lake.

Slovenia is defiantly a place that we would like to go back to, perhaps Winter next time.

With us running out of time and needing to make it to Venice for our Top deck trip we decided to adhere to the advise of the rental company and take the motorway. Wow were we lucky, turns out there are tolls everywhere. After going through three we decided to stop and suss the situation out as you cant pay as you go through them. Turns out that you need a concession card and if you get pulled over you automatically get a 500 Euro fine. The petrol station owner told us we were very lucky and it was probably because it was a Sunday.

Anyway the Panda preformed well on the motorway, although we stuck solidly to the left hand lane as cars flew by at up to 150 km an hour....










Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Traditional CakeTraditional Cake
Traditional Cake

This is like a custard square but with a layer of cream in it too....it was yummy!!!!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb