European Tour Sep 08


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
September 24th 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

T K Breg - Brda Hills

Last day here in Breg and the Brda Hills, so not too much travelling today.
After a leisurely breakfast, one egg appeared this morning, so we left it for Saška and Annabel to have; we went for a drive around the various little villages nearby.
The weather was perfect, not to hot, but beautiful sun and clear blue skies. The harvest is still going strong, with all the little tractors trundling along with the trailers full of grapes.
We ended up in the town of Dobrovo, which has a castle and in the basement a wine cellar, with tasting.
I went a little mad, and have ended up with 18 bottles of very nice red and white wine; I just hope they taste as good when we get them home!
We then decided to take a trip to the city of Nova Goria. This is a University town, which was built after WW2, when the town of Gorica was ceded to Italy. We found it rather strange as we couldn’t find a particular centre, or any real congregation of shops, and those which we did find, as like yesterday, looked closed. So after visiting a supermarket (you have to do these things), we headed back to Breg to prepare for tomorrows long trip back home.
One of the things Saška had suggested was to visit a potter/ceramics artist in Breg. This was a great find. They produce some lovely items, vases, plates, wall plaques etc. We decided on some ceramic vine leaves. When we said they were for presents, the effort that went into wrapping them up was tremendous. I think they took longer to wrap them up, than we took in choosing them, and that was a considerable time. But they were lovely people, and we got a ‘Kent’ discount!
So our time in Slovenia has drawn to a close. It has been an excellent 10 days, with so many wonderful places, and we have only scratched the surface. The people have been the stars though. They have made us feel so welcome, and gone out of their way to help and to make sure we have had a good time. We will definitely return, may be with a slightly different itinerary, though driving here has been well worth the effort. I suppose we could fly and hire a car once here, but where would Clare be without her camping gas stove and Yorkshire Tea Bags.
Tomorrow we’re up early to leave for La Petite Pierre in Alsace, about 600km away.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb