European Tour Sep 08


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace
September 25th 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Enroute - Slovenia, Italy, Austria, Germany, France

Well we crept away from Breg at about 03:10 this morning and headed to the motorway at Udine in Italy, then into Austria, Germany and finally France. The journey was relatively uneventful, the heating started to go after about 2 hours of driving (a sign before that the water was about to run out), however the water level was all right and after a 30 min break the heating resumed. We therefore stopped every 150 miles or so from then on to have a half hour break and to check the water.
We arrived in La Petite Pierre about 15:30 and booked into a very nice country hotel in the centre of the village. We have good room with a balcony overlooking a wooded valley, where the leaves are just starting to turn.
We had dinner in the hotel, not the cheapest, but excellent. The wine was from Alsace and was very reminiscent of a German medium white, not surprising considering the history of the area. This was a pleasant surprise as all the Alsace wine we had sampled before had been dry.
The food was well presented and full of flavour, we started with a terrine with a side salad, then wild boar in a very rich sauce with what appeared to be flour & egg grated dumpling affairs. They tasted like the soft part of a homemade Yorkshire pudding and worked very well. Dessert was a chocolate and coffee confection, with meringue, chocolate mousse and coffee ice-cream.
So after a long day we both collapsed and slept really well.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb