European Tour Sep 08


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace
September 26th 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

La Trois Roses - La Petite Pierre

After sleeping in, it was up for breakfast and way.
Today we have been to Colmar to complete a visit started back in 2002, when it was suggested we visit the Unterlinden Museum, sadly on that occasion it was shut for renovation. This time it was open and had some superb medieval exhibits including the Issenheim Altar by Grűnwald, a truly stupendous piece of work.
The rest of the day was spent in Colmar, looking around the old part of the town, doing some shopping and having a great day. Lunch was taken in a small restaurant, sitting outside, eating some very nice food and generally ‘people’ watching. A fascinating hour.
On the way back we popped into a supermarket and purchased some wine and various other bits. On the way out, it now being dark, we had to put on the headlights. Both dipped beam lights have stopped working! So we travelled the remaining 15 miles on full beam. We were not at all popular with the oncoming traffic!
The SatNav had earlier tried to send us up a forestry track, which we choose not to do, however on the way back, what with the headlight problem, we ended up on the self same track! 3km later we resumed our journey back on a proper road. the amusing thing was, that when we came to the the end of the track, there were two cars parked, with very steamed up windows! They must of thought the local Gendarmes had caught them!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Unterlinden ColmarUnterlinden Colmar
Unterlinden Colmar

Issenheim Altar
Unterlinden ColmarUnterlinden Colmar
Unterlinden Colmar

Issenheim Altar


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb