Hiking up Konj


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola
June 11th 2019
Published: June 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Up at 7am to allow an early start to our hiking - although it was already hot when we started at 8am! We followed the signs to Konjščina & Planina Dol, although had to take a slight detour when we got stuck behind a fence! Luckily we soon spotted a signpost that got us back on track. There were a couple of herdsmen around the huts at Konjščina & Dol with their cattle, some beautiful animals. From the road through Planina Dol we headed up the very steep mountainside in the heat of late morning! It was hard work but was worth it, the views from the top was stunning! There was also a box with a stamp - which was sadly very faint.

Amusing quote of the day from Chavaunne when we saw some Primula plants "I thought that was just a cheese!" As well as these there were lots of beautiful alpine flowers, lots of rusje (dwarf pine), flies and wood ants! We were joined on the peak of Konj (translation "horse") by a raven and alpine accentors.

We had to return along the same trail, slightly less steep uphill on the way back. The only other hiker we passed on the trail was someone going the other way down to Planina Dol. On the way home we decided to pop up to see the herdsmen’s settlement, although we didn't head all the way there, instead heading to Zeleni rob where there were no chips but their apple strudel & traditional cottage cheese dumplings were delicious! This also let us dry off from the short but heavy rain shower we got caught in!

Our plan was to get the chairlift down to our cottage but because of some distant thunder & lightning the guy said it wasn't working... then part way down we saw it running with people on! Very frustrating! I spotted a nicer looking grassy track heading downhill under the ski pull, which then got steep & stony too, oops! We got back home & collapsed! Chavaunne went downstairs to investigate how to use the sauna... Whilst we waited for to it warm up we started cooking the veg. We started with a dry sauna then humid, it was very hot but exactly what was needed after the hike - although personally I'd prefer a hot tub on the deck! We then finished cooking whilst eating crisps & drinking wine - supper was the same as last night but with added paprika & extra cheese. We played charades for a whilst then Vicky had to take a call so we headed out on deck where we spotted a pale "weird thing" through the trees so wandered over to investigate... turned out to just be the roof of a derelict building - possibly a lodging house.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb