Licking Ljubljana


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
August 27th 2006
Published: August 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So it turns out that Ljubljana is perhaps even prettier than Zagreb. It doesnt quite have the same charm, due to the over abundance of tourists in a smaller area, but it is nevertheless still pretty charming.

The castle is a wee hike up the hill but the views are neat. Lucky for us the fog had cleared and we could see the mountains all around as well as all the red rooves of the town below. Corb spat off the side, tsk tsk.

The buildings around town are beautiful and there are churches of all different colours and shapes. Even the bridges are exciting, with Dragon Bridge obviously being the best; everyone knows that Dragons Rule! On the weekend there were all sorts of music and live drama type things going on in the central square. We saw some girls dressed as dragons, they were pretty cute.

There's a huge market with lots of fresh produce that was pretty neat when we arrived on Saturday, and the church bells ring from all over on Sundays. The atmosphere is pretty nice, though kinda laid back and quiet as everything closes from 1pm Saturday til Monday morning.

The icecream is another highlight. I had a hot pink one that tasted like nerds, then a highlighter green one that was apple flavoured, wicked.

Corb found a burger the size of his head, made out of tiny sausage things, tasty. He got mustard all over his face while trying to eat it. He rose to the challenge and defeated it, though got a few stares in the process. I had a good chuckle at his expense.

We also went for a wee drink or two in a choice little bar. It was underground and had skeletons and candles everywhere, pretty cool. Even the toilets were behind a fake bookcase, kinda like a secret passageway - my kinda bar!

All in all Ljubljana got the thumbs up from us! Pity it got cold though as I was kinda liking the shorts thing. Its even dipped lower than 16degrees which aint much fun when youve been living through over 40 for so long. It rained too. Humph.

Advertisement



7th September 2006

Glad you liked Ljubljana
I think you like it even more when the festival isn't crowding the streets. You're comment about the abundance of tourists is normally not the case. The mention of the burger with the tiny sausage things reminds me of the last week of the Ljubljana Festival which was far too over crowded. It's normally a calm little place. I've added your blog to our directory of travel blogs about Ljubljana at SloveniaWelcomes.com Check it out if you want to read more.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb