My type of backpacking holiday


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
August 1st 2006
Published: August 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Ljubljana on Saturday afternoon and the town was shut! Even the tourist information at the train station shut three hours before our guide book said it would. With directions to the nearest 2 star hotel in hand we trudged through the heat to find it - however when we did fear of Eli Roth's film 'Hostel' sprung to mind and we beat a hasty retreat to the town centre. Aah...the town centre....much better! Another tourist information centre had details of a 4 star hotel deal in the town at the Grand Union Hotel...I know, deals during the summer months, this cannot be I hear you cry, but it was true. So without too much thought we booked in for three days of luxury! With free use of a rooftop swimming pool and sauna which were just a few of the benefits we made good use of the hotel and the surrounding town.

Cafe culture is in full swing here (well definitely during the summer months) with endless cute bars (and very cute barmen included) and fantastic musicians to entertain you while you eat. Begging is a little off putting though.

We had many an hour watching the punishing of fraudulent bakers being dunked in the river (some sort of folklore tradition), visiting the castle and lots of window shopping (bit pricy for back packers you understand!)

We are now off to Lake Bled in the Julian Alps - have a look on the internet at the pictures it is truely picturesque - might be able to slow down a little and get some reading done! It is raining a little, so off to get a pack-a-mac to take with me! Think I may need that jumper afterall!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb