Bled & Ljubljana


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
October 10th 2007
Published: November 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

BledBledBled

Views from the lake
It was now a while ago that we were actually in Slovenia and to be honest I am battling to remember what we got up to!! That is shocking!

I loved Slovenia! It is a tiny country, below Austria and bordering on Croatia (I am updating the South Africans reading this....who I am certain are all wondering!)
So much to do there and a definite must for those who want an active holiday or even a long weekend get away. From canyoning to cycling to skiing and rafting..........it is all there and so easy to access.

We started the trip arriving from Austria on a train to Bled. Bled is a really pictureque town built around a lovely fresh water lake. The hostel we stayed in (Traveller's Haven) was brand new and very nice, bar the fact that at 10pm they locked the loungekitchen area. Both of us felt like school kids being sent to bed as unfortunately there was no other communal area once that was locked.....

I did my 1st ever rafting trip from Bled; the water was so clear and blue that Ken was adament it was polluted! but freezing, oh my word! an understatement!
Divine cakeDivine cakeDivine cake

New meaning to licking the plate clean!!!
At the end of the rafting experience Ken pushed me in the water (yes obviously it was a great idea at the time!) and it was so cold I just forgot top breathe. Ken said that face was a picture of panic and shear fear!!
We spent the whole day driving through the National Park; through tunnels; hiking up the moutains and we even walking up to the source of the river which came out directly out the moutain top. There are still plenty of bunkers from WWII hidden throughout the mountain range which was really interesting.

We spent three glorious days in Bled and then made our way to the capital Ljubljana....another lovely small city; full of fantatic cafes and galleries.....my kind of place.

Next it is a very quick stint into Italy to visit Cinque Terre; before heading to Spain





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Preparing for the tripPreparing for the trip
Preparing for the trip

Yes!!! I realise just how sexy we look!!!
Strong manStrong man
Strong man

Squeezing into the small wetsuit....in Ken's defence, our guide Gordan seriously got all the wetsuit sizings horribly wrong!
Looking good.......!Looking good.......!
Looking good.......!

Trying our very best NOT to fall into the FREEZING water
Beers on the back of trainBeers on the back of train
Beers on the back of train

At the end of the tour our van was driven onto an old train and we took the very scenic train trip back; passing through loads of tunnels; some over 1.5km long
Lovely LlubianaLovely Llubiana
Lovely Llubiana

This is another great city break


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb