Slovenia for the first but not last time


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
July 26th 2023
Published: July 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

What a stunning country! Our first time in this wooded, green country of just over two million inhabitants dissected by rivers and winding roads. We actually stayed first just over the border from Croatia in Lovsin Estate. The river Kupa bordered the estate and the country. We had oodles of space as the major European countries had not yet commenced school holidays so it was relatively quiet. Swimming was great above the weir and we rented a canoe and paddled gently upstream to another camping spot we were glad we had not found!

We met a delightful young couple Emma and Gregor who were holidaying from Celje with their two young daughters whose shyness prevented them from practising their English. The adults, however, discussed the country, its culture, customs and politics for many hours. As a doctor, Gregor was able to throw light on their health system and sadly like many European countries this is in a parlous state. Insufficient funding seems to be leaving doors open for the greedy profit companies who do not, definitely not, have the best interests of their patients to heart. Please, please do not let the unbridled profit making US model into our countries. As Bernie Sanders says, It's Ok to be angry about capitalism! Having really clicked with these intelligent youngsters they invited us to their place on our next visit. "We have so much to show you," Emma said.

Our journey up to Lake Bled took us past more wooded countryside and picturesque villages where the farmhouses resembled alpine chalets. We very nearly gave Lake Bled a miss. As we turned off the highway google informed us in red, in no uncertain terms, that the road was perfectly jammed. "Oh let's not sit in a traffic jam for an hour, we'll turn around and carry on." We quickly found a turning spot in front of a horse track and decided to park there and have some lunch. As we were tucking into our bread and cheese, it probably was that, our most popular lunch, I noticed cyclists whizzing by on a pathway adjacent to the road. "Forget the jam, let's take off the bikes and ride into Bled and take them around the lake." Which we did; not without a bit of a hiccup due to an inability to read a detour sign, and soon found ourselves gasping at the sheer beauty of the lake and its surrounds. Next time Bohinj lake but this would do. Snapping photos as we circled the lake, we stopped to take a plunge. The water was nowhere near as cold as we had anticipated. That dip in Shala River in Albania was much, much colder! We sniffed out another gelato, yes, ok, it was hot, and stood by our bikes eating them and watching the frolicking on one of the lakeside beaches.

Walks and rides await us on our next visit. I can't wait to return.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb