From the High Tatras to Bratislava


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia
September 24th 2006
Published: September 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The beauty about Europe is you can race through a lot of countries in a short space of time.

Slovakia is a neat little country which is a bit off the regular tourist trail. Spent a couple of nights in Stary Smokovec in the High Tatras Mountains. This area is riddled with hiking and cycling trails in the summer, which turn to ski trails in the winter; a paradise for the outdoorsy types. Only had one nice day during our stay, so did a 6-hour hike from Hrebienck (1285m) to Zbojnicka Chata (1960m). Totally awed by the rugged beauty and autumn colours. Didn't come across any English speakers, mainly Czechs and Poles.

It's also highly recommended to take out Mountain Rescue Insurance, which only cost 20Sk for the day (< A$1). The funny thing is that they categorise mountain biking as an extreme sport which costs more at 50Sk per day. They won't pay out in the event of false alarms, if you head out during announced avalanche danger, if you attempt suicide, or you're under the influence of alcohol, drugs or other "dazzling substances".

Then it was onto the capital Bratislava for a couple of nights. Talked to a young Slovak guy on the train (during a 2 hour delay) who told me that he wasn't working and was only interested in mountains. What the ? Seemed to be seeking some form of enlightenment, and was even fasting for the day. I had no such higher calling; I was straight into the station restaurant for some 80 cent bean soup with bacon bits.

You get a strong sense of the previous communist influence in Bratislava, particularly in the ugly apartment buildings near the Danube River. Most people only stop here for a night or pass through for the day as it's a pretty small city. What it lacks in memorable sights, it makes up for with a kicking music and arts scene. I'm SOOOO disappointed that I'm going to miss out on the upcoming Duran Duran and Deep Purple concerts.

When I booked into my hostel, I was asked if I minded being in an all-female dorm. Yeah fine, but why? Found out soon enough when a group of 3 girls started telling off the other 2 girls for making too much noise at night and in the morning. Very scary when they hunt in packs; like being back at boarding school. There is definitely dorm etiquette such as not trying to make too much noise, and not rooting around in your locker at strange hours. Plastic bags are the worst offenders. I certainly prefer mixed dorms only because everyone seems to be friendlier, and no girl is going to tell someone else off and be labelled "that bitch" and not get invited to the pub. Group dynamics are extremely entertaining.







Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Follow that nunFollow that nun
Follow that nun

High Tatras trails from Hrebienck
Rocky pathRocky path
Rocky path

No path to speak of, just a whole lot of strategically placed rocks
Zbojnicka ChataZbojnicka Chata
Zbojnicka Chata

Rest hut at 1960 metres. Stopped for some hearty goulash before heading back down the trail
Tree graveyardTree graveyard
Tree graveyard

A couple of years ago they had a huge windstorm which destroyed a lot of the trees, the biggest natural disaster in the High Tatras
Bryndzove haluskyBryndzove halusky
Bryndzove halusky

Slovakian national dish with potato noodles drowned in sheep's milk cheese and bacon. Tasted like a really rich macaroni & cheese
Weight watchersWeight watchers
Weight watchers

Slovakians need to know the menu portions to the exact gram
CumilCumil
Cumil

Could be either resting or looking up women's skirts
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Novy Most bridge which looks like a flying saucer, with ugly communist apartment buildings in the background


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb