Yodelling


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
September 17th 2006
Published: September 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Very long travel day to Bled Slovenia from Pula via Rovinj and Ljubljana. Totally rooted by the end of it.

Bled has beautiful vistas of the Julian Alps with a funky old castle built in 1004 and quaint church in the middle of the lake. Bit of a tourist town, which turns into an alpine resort in the winter. Managed to do a walk around the lake, and through the nearby Vintgar Gorge. Locals are very house-proud with flowers in every windowsill. If you didn't know it you'd think you were in Switzerland.

Plans to go onto Lake Bohinj and do some outdoor activities (hikes, canyoning, whitewater rafting) in the Triglav National Park had to be scrapped due to seemingly endless crappy weather, which was a damn shame. Decided to pull up stumps and head back to the capital Ljubljana instead.

Ljubljana is a very compact and charming city. It doesn't take long to see the sights. Otherwise there are lots of cafes, bars and nightclubs to while away the hours. The disaffected, anarchic, under-aged types hung out in the Metelkova music clubs, which looked like a "Mad Max" movie set.

One night with about 20 fellow hostellers we decided to start the evening off with some cheapie BYO drinks (I recommend the Slovenian "refosk" red wine) in the common room. About 10.30pm the receptionist got aggressive and told everyone off for making too much noise as they have elderly neighbours and telling us to move onto an outside bar venue. A few of the lads got a bit lippy, and before you know it she had called in reinforcements in the form of a Dolph Lundgren lookalike security guard. Whose bright idea was it to put a hostel next to old people?

Finally did a day trip with hostel roomies to the Skocjan Caves, which has a massive underground gorge. Pretty impressive. Finished off the day with a "Hot Horse" burger. When it's covered in sauce, you don't notice the difference.









Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Afternoon teaAfternoon tea
Afternoon tea

Krema snena rezina (cream and custard pastry), plus plum and apple strudel
Preseren Square, LjubljanaPreseren Square, Ljubljana
Preseren Square, Ljubljana

Love the chandelier in the middle
CabbagesCabbages
Cabbages

Long queue at the premier cabbage stand in Ljubljana


21st September 2006

HI GUS
- Just had a quick catch up on your last month or so - keep the updates coming (by the way, had a great lunch for TC's send-off). LD

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb