No Hermits at the Hermitage


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
March 15th 2007
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Monet, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Van Gogh, and Pissarro all under the same roof? It can be done! I journeyed to the "best gallery of world art, one of the most prominent art museums in the world and definitely the main tourist attraction of St. Petersburg," according to Saint-Petersburg.com. So much to take in before you check out the food court, but how else will you get the feel of such a renowned museum? In order to understand why you are there-- the importance of your whole trip--you have to understand the history of the place in question.
The Hermitage Museum was, ironically, founded under the rule of Catherine the Great. It's three stories hall, and literally has over 1700 doors, 1900 windows and 1000 rooms. Catherine got the best designers and architects to ensure the lavishness and enormity of the grand "palace". It has the most diverse range of art known to, well, just about anyone.
Here's an interesting quote from Saint-Petersburg.com: "The experts say that if you were to spend a minute looking at each exhibit on display in the Hermitage, you would need 11 years before you'd seen them all." They are wise in suggesting you take the quickened, guided tour instead!
After an almost overwhelming day of historical bliss, I need to start planning what to do in the city of Sochi, where I hear they have magnificent food!


Hermitage Ticket:$0

FOOD!:$7

Pointless Souvineers:$17.98

The Starry Night under the Mona Lisa next to The Last Supper near the two guys tring to touch fingers: Priceless.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb