Church, Anyone?


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
March 14th 2007
Published: March 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After an good night's rest, I rented a car (a hybrid, not a gass-guzzler!) and drove the hours to St. Petersburg, where I'm planning on spending the next two days (I'll drive back to the hotel each day...it'll be easier on the wallet) sightseeing and squandering more of Mr. Keith's cash. I've already exposed myself to the extravagant culture of St. Petersburg via The Smolny Cathedral. It began being constructed in 1748 under the instruction of Empress Elizabeth, who thought it was high time for a new nunnery and an institution that specialized in the education of young women. This school/cathedral was the first of its kind in Russia, and raised many eyebrows among the overly-dominating male species.
Sadly, the architect never got to finish his masterpiece due to the demise of Elizabeth and the reign of newly-appointed Catherine the Great. The church was robbed and ransacked, then closed in 1923.
After a slight rennovation in1972, the Smolny Cathedral morphed into a concert hall, which is still popular and widely used in St. Petersburg. How sad that the girls' education had to be postponed due to a terrible new ruler!


Rent-a-Car: $47

Cathedral Entrance:$0

Gas Bill: $19

180 pounds of stolen silver: Priceless.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb