Wedding, post-wedding party 2 of 2


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Cluj » Cluj-Napoca
July 16th 2007
Published: July 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok, I hope it's 2 of 2...and I can finish up the wedding details!

I think I left off at the first stop...where we picked up Carmen and Simone, and of course, Mircea, the groom! Carmen is a friend of Dana's, they used to work together... and Simona is a cousin. Both speak English! Carmen spent a lot of time with us "Americans." She's not only beautiful, but also an absolute sweetheart, with a smile worth gold! She and Simona were dressed in elegant, green, summer dresses...beautiful. We met them at the first stop, along with Mircea, his dad...all his immediate/close-extended family. We went up to their apartment, which was on either the 3rd or 4th floor. There was a small "lift" (elevator), but everyone chose to march on up! Mircea wasn't even dressed when we arrived - we found him running around in shorts & a t-shirt...tons of family in the apt...it was pretty much controlled mayhem!

At each stop, there's plates of sweets, (strong) drinks/shots, and traditions that are carried out. When we arrived at the first stop, I said in the last blog that we were introduced to Christian, the wedding planner extraordinaire - that's not really accurate. We were told about him, and then were told who he was when he showed up - we weren't really introduced. Bottom line, we were spectators of an intimate wedding morning "in the life of...!" Christian was accompanied by a couple guys, one with a violin, the other with an accordian. Mircea got dressed, his mom & dad wrapped up everything (including being sure everyone was partaking in the food/drinks) . The video guy and photographer were there to take family/assorted pics, people ate sweets, drank, toasts were made...and then Christian sang a song to everyone...followed by lots of tears (of joy!) and heart-felt emotion...this was a special day for all that were present...and even through the Romanian language, it was crystal clear. We exited the apartment unit as a "procession," music playing/singing....neighbors peeking out to see what was up, Mircea (now dressed - extremely handsome!), his parents, the bridesmaides, you name it...close family...and "the Americans" walked down to the cars, in order to head to the next stop...the godparents.

The "morning stops" are typically attended by close family only. We all felt incredibly special...sharing in this very traditional, and yet at the same time, intimate time with D & M (Daniela/Dana & Mircea) and their families. Another important thing to picture? The "procession" of cars, apx 8-12 (?) left the first stop...proceeded to the next stop...and no laws are abided by! All of the cars have either bouquets of flowers and/or ribbons to show they're part of a wedding procession. More than one, actually - almost all of the cars blow their horns while they go from one stop to the next! There's a bunch of "round-a-bouts," a.k.a., traffic circles - - which are total chaos...but the thing is, most of the "Cujians" respect the procession, allowing us to proceed as a group. Red lights? Nah...beep your horn through it, being careful, of course! And we were one of how many weddings??? Unbelievable how it all works...!

Ok, 2nd stop (will I ever get to the reception? I think I need to summarize a bit better!) - - we arrived...and basically, much the same as the first...just a different place, more people...and the procession grows! Typically the procession goes to 2 separate locations, but we only went to one - both sets of godparents were at the same home...a beautiful home (and I'm not even sure who's - - D's cousin's cousin, I think?) Collect the godparents, eat, drink, Christian singing, passing out shots, chatting/socializing...and then, on to DANIELA'S - let's pick up the bride!

The 3rd stop - Daniela's...more people, more chaos! Her parents also live in a high-rise apartment buidling, and there are several bldgs surrounding theirs...MANY neighbors peeking out...out their doors/on their balcony's...I can only relate it to "Hollywood paparazzi...!" It was unbelivable! The actual apt was packed with people, all wanting a peek at the bride...and WOW, was she beautiful! Daniela's one of those women who, I'm sure, wakes up in the morning beautiful....so on her wedding day? You can only imagine! So more drinks (which, by the way, we were "advised" to take and drink only if we wanted to - - not to worry...!), sweets...! On our way up the stairs...I was told by a cousin/translator that Christian (who basically coordinates/leads the procession/whole day!) knocks on the door, and asks, "Who's the boss here?!?" Shortly after appeared Daniela's father - - it was priceless!!! Again, not understanding, but imagining what's being said...and getting an idea based on the tone and joy in Christian's/everyone's voice! ON TO THE CHURCH!

D & M were married in the Eastern Orthodox Church - which are extremely ornate & beautiful! The actual "wedding" can take up to 2-3 hours (or more?), but Daniela cut it down to 30-45 mins. Though it was short...the tradition was apparent, and it was so amazing as well as an honor to be present & witness! Christian and another guy sang during/for most of the "wedding," and they sounded beautiful....again, even though I didn't understand a word! A group shot was taken outside the church of everyone in attendance...I want to say 75-100, probably more?

ON TO THE RECEPTION! And dang, I'm sure I'm leaving out a ton...but I'm doing my best to summarize and pick out the "best of...!" As mentioned, the reception was from 2pm to 12midnight - how does one summarize 10 hours?! AND, unlike American wedding, the majority of the people stayed AT LEAST through 10/11pm...! Unbelievable...and where to start!??

First of all, there were at least 4 or 5 courses - appetizer plate, fish, chicken/pork, wedding cake (the best I've EVER ate - and MOST people ate it...!), and cheese/fruit to wrap it up. We never had empty glasses...they were constantly being filled with H20, beer, wine, Martini, and a selection of Romanian drinks (that I can't remember the name of!) This being said, NO ONE was drunk/unruly...if you can believe it! And let's see...I think there was at least 175-200 people, 2 adjoining rooms full....!! We were seated at Table 11 with Daniela's parents...and VERY close to the "head table" (which included the godparents...D & M, and that's it - - not the 2 bridesmaids - which I don't even think they're called...). Also at our table was a Romanian couple that now lives in Toronto Canada...Lucien & Maria, VERY nice folks!

The reception was at the Hotel Belvedere, located on a hill overlooking the City of Cluj Napoca....stunning views! We ate, drank, Christian "ran the show" and was ever-present, there were Romanian dancers (can't even begin to describe...!), Christian sang a series of Romanian, traditional folks songs, one course was served with a procession, with plates in flames...after lights were dimmed! When the wedding cake was brought out, the lights were dimmed again...and sparklers were put around it...music played...there was a fireworks display....I mean...there was a suprise at every corner! I don't know how to summarize 10 hours of constant activity, excitement, love, and joy!!! All I can say is we all had a fabulous time...and it'll be an event we all remember for many years to come!!!

Ok, before continuing...I need to review and see if ANY of this makes any sense...and to be sure I'm not forgetting something IMPT!!!

Okie dokie...all looks good! I've gotta run now....will check this out later/tomorrow before we head to Brasov with D & M....and I'll fill you in on what's up from here....! Till then...CIAO!




Advertisement



18th July 2007

Jimmie D'Ann's Baby!
Yo Laurita! JDO had her baby boy yesterday around noontime. His name is Payton Alexander - 8 lbs. 5oz and 23 inches long! Big boy. Pass it on to Jer and Cyn. Daniela's weddding sounds phenomenal. I was thinking about you all wishing I could be there. Can't wait to hear even more details. Love to she and Mircea!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb