Another day in Romania...1 of 2...


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Cluj » Cluj-Napoca
July 16th 2007
Published: July 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

HI ALL - I'm MUCH better today, YAY! Happy Monday...how lucky am I? Don't think a day doesn't go by that I'm not grateful at my life...the travels, experiences, and THE PEOPLE! I miss all of you ... ! 😊

I have about 15 mins to type here - same story, I'll be back later to finish where I leave off.

Romania has been an experience, to say the least. First of all, to not have to plan / do anything? Having Daniela, Mircea, and her beautiful (inside & out!) sister, Ella, take care of everything has been the HUGEST treat! As most of you know, I do my own thing "on the road," not so much planning specifics, but transport, accomodations, etc. are handled upon arrival. Due to it currently being "high season" (summer months), some planning is necessary, and I haven't had to do any of it. The word "appreciative" doesn't even begin to say how I feel...

The wedding cannot be compared to an "American wedding." It was a day's event, and as mentioned, like nothing I've ever experienced. And as some of you know, I've been to a wedding in Egypt, and a few from afar in India. The wedding day in Romania is soaked in tradition.

The day started at 9:10am, when were were picked up by our fearless driver, Richard. He's a friend of Mircea's that now lives in Italy - - and boy does it show! Between his "rico / suave" look, piercing green eyes, and on top of it, his driving? Very Italian (crazy!) He was our driver for the day, not only getting us everywhere safely, but not without LOTS of laughs!

SIDE NOTE - music is ever-present here...and not just as background. It takes a bit of getting used to, i.e., in restaurants, it's volume is such that it's necessary to talk over it. Same thing in the car...not only was the music playing (Lenny Kravitz, Justin Timberlake, "house" / club music), but it was loud...! 😊 Richard (a.k.a., Ritchie) was quite the experience for us!

Ok, to summarize first - then I'll get into more detail -

1st stop - pick up 2 bridesmaides, Mircea (groom), his parents & family, all at Mircea's parents home. We also were introduced to the "wedding planner extraordinaire," Christian. He's famous / the best in Romania...has CDs out...and there's not much he doesn't do! More later about him...!

2nd stop - pick up Mircea and Daniela's godparents - each have 2 sets.

3rd stop (FINALLY!) - pick up Daniela at her parents home

TO THE CHURCH - 30-45 mins ceremony
TO RECEPTION - we arrived at 2pm and didn't leave until 12midnight

Ok, first stop? Mircea's parents' home. There we picked up the 2 "bridesmaids," Carmen and Simona. Their role is not not to be compared with what bridesmaids do in the U.S. There purpose (amongst many other things, including some of what U.S. bridesmaids do) was to accompany Mircea, his parents & family to the next stop...which was to pick up the godparents. Both Mircea and Dana (this is how Daniela is referred here - pronounced "Donna") have 2 sets.

OKAY, Part 2 to follow .... I have to go now!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb