Lloyd and Daves Excellent Adventure


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
May 8th 2007
Published: May 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Santiago De CompestelloSantiago De CompestelloSantiago De Compestello

Quite an incredible little town
My brilliant friend, old Dave Bowman decided to pay me a visit for my birthday and to run the London Marathon. So good seeing the old geezer again, top class guy.
On a bit of a whim we decided to go to Portugal and Spain the next morning at 7am. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and it probably would have been if we had not had a bender the night before till 3 in the AM and then raced to Stansted only to miss our plane, have to pay some more money and catch the flight that night.
We made the most of the day and had some wonderful mushroom risotto soup and visited the National museum.
Jumped on the night flight, arrived in Porto and made our way into the city centre. Were advised not to jump on the train with out validating our ticket by a very nice police man.
Found a place to stay near the city centre and headed out to see what was going on. Which turned out to not be a whole lot. But I have to say, we walked down to the riviera and made this turn and in front
On ArrivalOn ArrivalOn Arrival

Portos town hall. This is pretty much the first building we saw after getting into town
of us was one of the most memorable views I have yet to see. It was of the bridge going over the river with all the lit up houses below and the port houses lit up on the other side of the river. There was a little bar that Dave and I sat at and enjoyed a couple of portuguals finest beers, actually i think they might have been spanish but whos counting hey!
Spent the next day wondering around Porto, delightful city. So picturesque and full of charm. Climbed up the tallest tower in Portugal, built a million years ago which afforded great views of the city. Then spent most of the rest of the day wondering around from port house to port house. Quite amazing seeing the actual houses of Taylors, Croft, Fonseca and the like.
If you ever go to Porto, whatever you do-don't take a port tour, just stick to the drinking. So boring.
That evening we headed to Santiago De Compestello (one of the coolest names to say) which neither Dave or I knew anything about. Such a beautiful little town with city walls and winding cobbled stone streets everywhere. The centre piece is the
My PoseMy PoseMy Pose

Somewhere in Porto
old cathedral which is a marvel to look at. Sort of reminded me of Ankor Wat with that old falling apart lost city look going on. There are a few universities around so the vibe was awesome. Saw some kids cutting lines of coke on the steps by the church. Not so much discreet to say the least.
The one day we headed to La Coruna on the very north coast of Spain. Cool place, walked all along the coast to the old battle field where Hercules supposedly killed a bunch of people.
All in all a great time shared with my boy Dave.
Kilimanjaro, you in??


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Porto Porto
Porto

The view from the tallest tower in all of Portugal. It was not very tall.
Santiago De CompestelloSantiago De Compestello
Santiago De Compestello

Tried reading on the grass until the lawn mowers came.
Dr BowmanDr Bowman
Dr Bowman

Paraletic as usual after the port tastings.
Sunset over PortugalSunset over Portugal
Sunset over Portugal

On the bus, leaving Porto for spain.
Hercules LighthouseHercules Lighthouse
Hercules Lighthouse

Supposedly the oldest standing lighthouse in the world. These fields are also where Hercules fought some battle. This is La Coruna
Port ShopPort Shop
Port Shop

Where we had our first taste of Port in Portugal. Luvley
Santiago De CompestelloSantiago De Compestello
Santiago De Compestello

The Cathedral, awesome.
The river of PortoThe river of Porto
The river of Porto

Such a cool setting.
Mucho PortoMucho Porto
Mucho Porto

On our port tour.
In front of TaylorsIn front of Taylors
In front of Taylors

This Port house has an awesome garden with peacocks and all.


14th May 2007

hey bru, looks like you're having a rough time! santiago de compostella is one of my favorite places in spain... check it out: i'll be touching down in Germany june 4th - be there for the year... you still around then? let's make it happen! Maybe throw down on a stage in the tour de france? be well...
16th May 2007

Kilimanjaro
I'm up for Kilimanjaro. Just name the time and place. But first, how about we tackle a smaller mountain first.. sayyyy Mt. Snowdonia, June 13?
17th May 2007

Dave you've never looked better. And Lloyd, still posing in front of monuements with your arms pointing at the sky I see. Miss you both.
30th May 2007

u never been in Albania, right? go in agosto, at the south, im sure u'll have a time of u life. for advices mirelmetushaj@hotmail.com
6th November 2007

how fun!
So I was searching Google for David's website with all his old travel pics...And somehow I found this instead...Equally as enjoyable :) I can't believe I'm even related to David sometimes...What a crazy world-traveller he is! And you too Lloyd...Anyway, nice blog, that was fun to read! Love, "David's little sister"

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb