I hate front loaders


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Guimarães
July 2nd 2023
Published: July 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

I don’t care what anyone says. Front loading washing machines are the work of the devil. Them and ibises and it’s basically the equivalent of hell. I will not be convinced otherwise.

Off we set from I Sintra, a last crazy lap around the maybe one way system that snakes its way between all the sights, clogged with tuk tuks and nervous passengers. First stop was Obidos, which is a medieval walled castle city north of Lisbon. Despite ugh another castle from the peanut gallery, we were relatively quick to convince the doubters that it is actually a cute little town. Had a wander along the cobblestone streets and the ugh castle walls before settling on somewhere for lunch. Managed to check out some medieval birds of prey before completing the stroll through the town back to the car for the ugh journey further north.

Most important stop along the way, other than to collect some local delicacies (Doritos) at the servo was the grocery shop to collect some supplies. A few convoluted directions but we finally found our Airbnb - a gorgeous restored mill by a river where the water has actually been diverted through the house, previously to turn the millstone, now just for novelty factor. But the bubbling river, beautiful surrounding trees and cooling pool combined to make for a welcoming retreat.

And that’s where the washing machine stepped in to really cock things up. There was smoke. There were trapped wet clothes. And now there is a snapped off door.

A nice lazy start to the day was welcomed after the emotional distress of the previous evening. The girls enjoyed a swim before we headed to guimaraes for lunch and some exploring. Given that this was a medieval town that also had ugh a castle, there was danger of a teenage revolt but luckily the charming buildings, narrow winding alleys and traditional pastries combined to make it somewhat acceptable. We felt it was reminiscent of York or somewhere in Northern Europe with the general feel and architecture. Lunch on the square and some souvenir shopping was also deemed tolerable, largely due to the airconditioning of the shop and the burgers.

Back home again via the supermarket for bbq supplies, into the welcome oasis of our Airbnb. Some cooling off in the pool, cricket updates and some relaxing reading combined for a very chilled and enjoyable afternoon. Topped off by a tasty bbq dinner and some more relaxation with the calming sounds of the river beside us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb