Last Days in Funchal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Madeira
January 31st 2008
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tea TerraceTea TerraceTea Terrace

Overlooking Funchal from Reid´s Palace´s terrace.
Don loves the "elegant" and "genteel" feeling of Madeira and we both really enjoy the landscape, flowers and the sea. But after three weeks, we felt we´d seen and done most of what Funchal has to offer. To spend more time as tourists, you really must get out in the countryside. We did that last year on tours, but if we go back, we´ll rent a car and do the exploring on our own. However, the thought of traversing those narrow, twisty, mountain roads does give one pause.

Anyway, the last thing on our "must do" list was to take tea at the Reid: a perfect way to celebrate Funchal´s elegance and genteelness. The Reid Palace Hotel was built by a Scotsman many, many years ago. It is where the rich and famous from the UK came and went. It is still for the rich, but the lobby and first floor restaurants, bars and gift shop are open for the public. Tea is served out on the terrace overlooking Funchal and the bay every afternoon at 3 p.m.

We went Saturday afternoon without reservations (and were told we shouldn´t have). It is everything you would imagine an English tea
Tea TableTea TableTea Table

Doesn´t it look elegant?
would be. You´re first asked which tea you´d like and there are about thirty to choose from. There is a three-tiered stand on the table with a selection of sandwiches (no crusts on the bread) on one tier. On another are preserves and clotted cream. When you finish the sandwiches, they take that plate and bring a plate of scones (to put the preserves and clotted cream on). Then, the last tier is loaded with little cakes and other sweets. Yum! Tea took two hours and we didn´t have dinner that night!

If you´re a regular reader, you´ve probably noticed that I finally figured out how to add pictures. I started with my first blogs and was going to work my way up to the current ones. That came to a screeching halt a couple of days before we left Funchal as Don´s laptop suddenly decided it wasn´t going to connect to the Internet any longer! So, sorry, I do have great pictures of the tea. They´ll have to be added later.

We´ve moved on to the Algarve, arriving without incident on our two flights from Madeira to Lisbon, and from Lisbon to Faro. Much to tell about this part of Portugal, another day.

Thanks for the supportive e-mails. This can be a chore at times, but I´m energized by those of you who are enjoying reading about our travels. More later......................

Advertisement



31st January 2008

TallShipsFriend
Hi Mary--I'm glad I was at TallShips Wednesday when Michelle was able to get your "blog"--I have just read it and it is fascinating. Sounds like you are having a great time. You have missed some cold weather here--cold rain this morning, but some sun this afternoon. Hope I can continue to read your entries--they are wonderful. Take care. Ramona

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb