Western Algarve


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
February 5th 2008
Published: February 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Algarve CliffsAlgarve CliffsAlgarve Cliffs

Cliffs in Western Algarve
My sincerest apologies for not writing sooner. There is something about this place that just mesmerizes us. Whereas in Funchal there was a definite beat to the city and I wanted a routine; here, there is no schedule, routine, or desire to make plans. We are just so happy to BE here.

A word about where we are: The Algarve is the southern coast of Portugal, Western Algarve is the least developed area where cliffs dominate the coastline, but you can find lovely, unspoiled beaches; and Luz is the village we´re staying in that has a lovely beach. The landscape is rough and hilly. Right now the almond trees are blooming so everywhere you go you see clouds of pink or white. The ground is mostly green because of winter rains, but I suspect that come summer it is hot here and everything is pretty parched. We´ve had two days of rain, but the temperature stays in the high 50s.

Today was warm and gorgeous. Just to demonstrate what happens to all my good intentions, this morning I was definitely going to blog, but we decided to go for a walk along a shoreline path over to the next
Almond TreesAlmond TreesAlmond Trees

Taken inthe countryside
town of Burgau first. We got partway there, but ran out of steam, so came back to get the car and drove over for lunch. We had lovely salads in the sun on the deck of a restaurante overlooking the sea. After we started back, we got the idea to photograph some of the prettier of the blooming almond trees. Before we knew it, we were driving towards the mountains and shooting pictures right and left of all kinds of intriguing things. Now I´m in the Internet cafe across the street from the resort where we´re staying, blogging while Don is watching the news and before we head out to dinner.

We´ve eaten most of our meals in as we have a large, fully functional kitchen to go with our sunny two bedroom, two bath unit. Our biggest find the first day here was a fantastic store just three blocks away. It´s not very big, but has everything we could want: lots of fresh meat, cheese and produce, plus many grocery items that come from the UK. Yes, the Brits are here in great numbers, too. We´ve also run into a several Germans. In fact, an Air Berlin plane
Don Sitting at BeachDon Sitting at BeachDon Sitting at Beach

After an English breakfast at a nearby cafe.
pulled into Faro Airport right after ours.

The fish market is in Lagos, a very nice town just 2 km east of here. The fish market is probably as big as one of our smaller Safeways and is full of fresh fish every day after 6 a.m. By noon, the fish are all gone. Mostly Portuguese shop here and they are very serious about their fish shopping. They push their way in to get just the fish they want whether you´re standing there or not. It´s a real kick to be there and watch.

We´ve purchased a couple of Portuguese cookbooks and have been cooking their recipes. Yesterday, I made a clam dish for an appertizer (shellfish appetizers are big here). I started out sauteing prosciutto and sausage in olive oil, then added garlic, sweet red peppers and mild piri piri (can be really hot). Finally threw little, tiny clams in and let it all steam for twenty minutes. They were delicious! And, I´d bought the clams at the fish market.

More than any place else I´ve been, this is the place that really resonantes with my soul. Walking along the beach, or just sitting (which we
Fish MarketFish MarketFish Market

Lots of choices in Lagos market.
do a lot of), the pace and pitch of the waves are so soothing. This section of the coast is sheltered from the fiecre winds that blow off the Atlantic. They say this area looks more like North Africa than Europe with its white-washed buildings, red terracotta roofs and latticed chimneys.

Anyway, we´re going to be getting out and about more and I will do a better job of keeping in touch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Praia da LuzPraia da Luz
Praia da Luz

View down the beach.
Luz HouseLuz House
Luz House

Shows Arabic influences: color, tiles, chimney.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb