Plain Spain


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
October 11th 2010
Published: October 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Valladolid IrrigationValladolid IrrigationValladolid Irrigation

A Great Breeding Ground for files
We arrived in Santander to overcast skies. It looked a recently prosperous place with lots of new apartment buildings. (It should be prosperous with all the money we've all invested in the local Bank!) Pampas grass grew prolifically on the sides of the road as we sped out of town, staight into the Cantabrian mountains. Then something very unbritish occurred. As we sped through the tunnels and over the mountain passes, the cloud gradually dissolved before our eyes and the landscape quickly turned dun-coloured and then arid.

We struggled to find our overnight accom in Valladolid because the street markings and the Expedia map were not mutually compatible. We even stopped at the local council office to find our way. Eventually, we found the place and settled down to a sundowner by the swimming pool. (They said it was too cold to swim in the outdoor pool but they didn't drain it, so it was probably a breeding ground for flies!)

We took a walk along an irrigation canal past a horseriding school and then settled down to our first Spanish dinner in the traditional Spanish restaurant at the hotel.

Next day started chilly and sunny, as expected.
Central MadridCentral MadridCentral Madrid

Flowers blooming in the rarifed air 2000 feet above sea level
It didn't take long to get to Madrid. The dual carriageway was excellent and the views of the High Sierras on the approach to the capital were memorable and awe-inspiring. By now, temperatures were in the high 20s so we'd clearly found summer again. But we couldn´t find our hotel as easily. Again, Expedia had distinguished themselves by their inadequacy. However, as the hotel was called the High Tech Arturo Soria, we decided to drive the length of the Arturo Soria street until we´d found the place. (Who is/was Arturo Soria?)

We found the underground very useful for getting around - and the centre of the city was very lively. We were delighted to get into the Prado for free (It's surrounded by delightful gardens.) So we were able to study and distinguish our Goyas' from our Velasquezes´and our El Grecos´. There were no Picassos or anything abstract on display.

We made an early start next morning because we had a long drive to Cordoba. Bright and sunny again and cool in the rarified air 500 metres above sea level. We found the M30 ring route - and a totally new driving experience. As we drove along, we
Outside the PradoOutside the PradoOutside the Prado

Free Access - and the captions are in English as well as Spanish
discovered that the M30 was really 3 motorways in one, with all of the southbound traffic in adjacent lanes. Three times we followed road signs to switch lanes on to the section that was heading towards Cordoba - and twice we switched back (foolishly) after reading signs for Cordoba that we noticed suspended over other lanes. Only after our fifth manoeuvre did I realise what was happening. (Stay on this lane, Duncan, and you´ll reach your destination with the least amount of hassle!)

The next 200 kilometres or so were pretty boring. Parched flat countryside with only one high-rise village (about 20 K from Madrid, a desperately isolated Centro Penitenciario and the plush Villanueva de Franco (what´s that about?) of interest. But that all changed just after we came across the sign announcing the Provincia de Andalucia. Immediately, the road dropped off the plateau down a spectacular escarpment with most attractive rock formations, lush valleys and impressive views. We just missed the most spectacular motorway service station in Europe because we only realised how spectacular it was a few yards before we passed by, hugging a steep cliff on our way past.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Friday Night OutFriday Night Out
Friday Night Out

It's getting late and it's getting lively
Impressive FloodlightingImpressive Floodlighting
Impressive Floodlighting

I can't remember what this building is used for. Any help, please?


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0834s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb