Travelling on a Low IQ


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
October 8th 2010
Published: October 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sea Near BrittanySea Near BrittanySea Near Brittany

Left the rain behind at last
We thought it was time to revive our blog with a brief account of our latest travels - and a warning about the perils of travel for those that haven´t got an IQ of 140 or more.

We set off on Sept 29th to catch the ferry at Portsmouth. Everything packed, all documents duly checked and filed carefully in place. Then 40 miles down the motorway, realisation dawned. I hadn´t packed the keys to our Algarve Villa. Had we time to race back home and collect them? Luckily Mary had her small purse on her - with one key for each villa.
Next we arrived at the ship, after averting our eyes from the nearby Pride of Bilbao which was being stripped of its contents after returning from its final voyage the day before. Our cabin looked comfy but small. Then Mary spotted the snag. There was only ONE small bed - and we´ve put on too much weight to put up with that level of discomfort! I panicked again. I tried the cabin next door. (Perhaps we were supposed to occupy adjacent cabins?) But it was already occupied! Should we complain to the management. Then Mary looked up at
Land AhoyLand AhoyLand Ahoy

A Murky Spanish Coastline
the ceiling and pointed out a handle on the ceiling. So I reached up and pulled it. And lo and behold, a second bunk emerged from a recess in the ceiling. Success! So, you see, luckily we had a combined IQ of just over 140. So we could just about cope. And we then went on to prove the point by winning the General Knowledge quiz in the cabaret bar (14 out of 15 we scored) against 10 - 20 other teams. Actually, we tied for first place but won the play-off. The play-off question was: How many beans does the average family sized can of beans contain? What would your answer be?

The evening entertainment was pretty good but the cafeteria food was average and the beer was sub-standard. Still, we arrived inSantander on cue, after making the acquaintance of a middle'aged couple (partly Scottish) from Sway in the New Forest who were heading for Lagos via a very different route to ourselves.

I'll fillyou in on our later adventures in due course. We´ve had quite a few so far - and we're looking forward to many more over the next week or so.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb