The Algarve Portugal - Lagos


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
November 20th 2019
Published: November 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

This morning, waiting in a sitting room at the train station, a young lady rushes in and says we have to leave the space as it is filling with billowing smoke from the train below us. Nothing like getting gassed first thing in the morning. On the way to Lagos, PORTUGAL, for three hours there are rows of cork trees, many of which have the cork stripped, and the trunk bearing a number, as harvest can only occur every nine years. This is a form of documentation. Finally there are animals; horses and cows in a beautiful white sand colour. The rich soil becomes a burnt orange, and tree branches droop bearing the fruit of large oranges.

Estombar is the first retirement settlement along the way, and there are vineyards close by, as well as many golf courses. In Lagos, and looking for a restaurant, we discover what I have been looking for during our 81 days of travel, a beach. Praia do Camilo is surrounded by rock formations that include arches and tunnels. That wonderful feeling of feet deep in the sand again.

After breakfast, tickets are purchased through Day of Adventure to travel by boat through sea caves and grottoes. Arriving at the marina, we are informed that the sea is choppy, and the expedition has been cancelled. So, it is a walk to old town which is enclosed within ancient walls. The fish market spans three stories. You can purchase moray eels, dorado, sole, rock cod, snapper, corvina, and tuna. There are also a variety of salts used for cooking to purchase, including one infused with port since this fortified wine originated in Porto. There are several cork stores along the way and even different styles of cork shoes.

Mercado de Escravos is a building where the first European slave markets took place. From 1444, around 8000 West African slaves were sold over a ten year span. Later, the slave trade moved from Lagos to Lisbon. The museum accounts the terrible conditions and trauma these slaves experienced. A shameful time in hi story.

We are considering Lagos for a return winter trip as it certainly is a great place to relax and enjoy life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd November 2019

Algarve
Gwen & I went to Lagos too but it was after travelling by bus & train to Porto with many stops along the way before heading down to the Algarve. Loved the beaches but after where we had been my comment was "where are the Portuguese" since all of our waiters, B&B owners & workers were either British or German.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb