Day 59 Lagos


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
June 15th 2018
Published: June 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today was all about the Lagos coastline from the Marina de Lagos to Ponta da Piedade to Prado do Porto de Mos at sea level by small open boat in the morning and at cliff height by foot in the afternoon. By the end it turned out to be very tiring for both of us. The sun shone strong all day and by the time we had finished our boat exploration the wind had picked up and increased further during the afternoon. We were pleased that we had chosen to do the boat tour early. There were 3 crew, the skipper, a female trainee and an old local sea dog along for the ride and a couple from England and us. Heaps of room to move. The skipper took us right alongside the cliff faces, in and out and under and through caves and arches where we viewed the changing colours and different rock formations. Jane and I steeled ourselves and jumped overboard for a very brief swim as the water was very, very cold. The water colour varied from deep blue, clear light blue, jewel green that it made the tour even though not a word was spoken about it.

One could use many adjectives to describe the eroded cliff face with its different colours, caves, arches, stacks, overhangs and blowholes, however for us it was enough to be respectful and say, ‘been there, seen that’, and as good as they were, always remembering, “The Twelve Apostles” on Victoria’s south coast and the Great Australian Bight.

The walk was very disappointing. A lack of basic signs for directions, numerous erosional tracks to the dangerous edges, a lack of basic facilities, vegetation being down trodden and destroyed as the tourism industry exploits what could be one of the great walks of the world or least in Europe. Yes, the top is dangerous. Very. Views phenomenal but the risks are great for the uninitiated and careless.

Between the boat experience and the walk we headed into the town for lunch, which again did not fail to satisfy out taste buds . The service by the Portuguese in the restaurants we have eaten in has been first class.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement





















Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb