Oops forgot to publish this one


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Alentejo » Évora
April 14th 2017
Published: April 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

14th April

A leisurely start to the day & 68 year old Herman told us that the site was for sale, they wanted to retire. We set off for Evora, an ancient walled town established by the Romans & now a world heritage site. Most of the journey was on a super ‘A’ road with straights that went on for miles. We had wondered where the main cork producing area was...well this was cork central with millions of cork oaks which gave way to olive groves & vineyards. The other striking thing were the amount of storks about, huge things that roamed around the sky on thermals just like eagles except that they looked like pterodactyl. The government or electric company had fitted the poles with ironwork platforms for their nests, which were equally huge.

We also saw a group of wild boar! My first thought, no they must be brown/black pigs but apparently in so easy parts of Portugal they're becoming a problem. No picture though, passed them too quickly.

Arrived on site(which smells of jasmin) too late to do much except have a late lunch, get the washing sorted & do this. The site is pricey compared to others probably on account of the historic sites. Tomorrow we shall walk as we’re only 2km or so from the old town & the bikes might be a hindrance.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb