Day 02: Warsaw Old Town ++ (Jun 2018)


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland
June 10th 2018
Published: February 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, 10th June 2018

The sun was bright and sunny this morning as we began our Metro Tour towards the tail-end station, Dworec Wilenski. Warsaw's metro is modern and efficient. There were little crowds on Sunday as we practically had the train cabin to ourselves.

Next up on our stop was the Dworzec Warszawa Stadion Station where it commanded fine views of the Vistula River and the Most Swietokrzyski Bridge. The Vistula River is the main water body that divides the city into the eastern (new town) and western sections (old town).

Breakfast was a simple affair of Ice Flat White (hugely recommended) and delicious muffins at the local coffee chain, Green Cafe Nero. Within its amazing decor, this was a perfect spot to while our morning away in the city.

Visiting the Warsaw Old Town is a must even though it had been completely rebuilt following the Germans' destruction during World War II. It was still early when we popped by and the tourist crowds had not descended upon the main market square and the castle compounds. We could take in the sights and pictures slowly as we went about the narrow alleys of the old town.

We had sometime to spare before lunch as we headed to the imposing Polish Army Museum. It was said that the museum highlights were located outside the main building where proud displays of war planes and tanks were evident.

Lunch at Zapiecek was a lovely experience given it's homely decor, welcoming service and delicious Polish dumplings and soups. Zapiecek is certainly a great starting point to experience traditional Polish cuisine in a friendly setting.

In the afternoon, we headed to the former Warsaw Ghetto where the Polin Museum of the History of Polish Jews is located. We also had the opportunity to sample some traditional Jewish healthy hummus at the museum's cafe. Again, it helped that the staffs were very welcoming as we were rather overwhelmed by what we could order at the cafe.

Given a slew of sightseeing plans we had assembled today, we started our dinner rather late into the evening. Eventually, we headed to a breakfast restaurant (Bułkę Przez Bibułke) as it was opened until 11pm. The sandwich was generous in portion. And equally generous were the accompanying olive oil and vinegar condiments as we tucked in to our healthy dinner to mark the end of our day two at Warsaw.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb