Norway isn't the most a-fjord-able country


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
August 4th 2016
Published: August 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 60.3881, 5.33185

31 countries at the age of 31, not bad.
Norway! I've always had a soft spot for the country but it's well known the be the most expensive country in the world, and yes! Quite true.
However we played it smart and booked a campsite and a car between the four of us and did a food shop in the UK and brought it over.
Anna and I were there to meet up with and spend a bit more time together with Richard and Rikki.
The first few days we were there was perfect warm sunny weather and we took advantage of Bergen's two view points, Ulriken and Floyen, both amazing view points with walks attached to the tops. We did a bit of walking in and around town.We benefited from a Air BnB accommodation right by the waters edge and then moved to a campsite about 20km away, alongside a lake where the four of us shared two bunk beds in a one roomed cabin.
With the help of a rented car, we managed to get around a bit. Plenty of driving was done.
Our first stop was Hardangerfjorden and looping back to the campsite via Voss with the rain accompanying us most of the day.
Our second day was quite similar weather wise but in a different direction. We were headed to Flam but after driving 2/3rds of the way there we weren't able to continue due to landslides blocking the road. it would have been an 8hr diversion to get to Flam!
Nevertheless we went to Vik instead. There were some nice view points and stops along the way including a waterfall and ski village with grass roofs. There is a very nice view point over looking the tiny town as the road descends in to it.
Also located there is a iconic stave church with its wooden and black construction. We even saw a few dolphins fishing in the fjords bay. Vik was a great unexpected alternative to Flam.
When the others had departed, Anna and I did a loop of a hill over looking Bergen, although it felt at times we were effectively rock climbing. It offered a nice 360 degree view around Bergen, but once again the weather wasn't giving us too much of a break.
We really enjoyed Norway and that was with constant rain for a lot of the time we were there, so imagine how blown away we would have been had there been blue skies!



Additional photos below
Photos: 100, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb